What Lens to buy for Movies/Short Films on Canon EOS 77d?

4 years 10 months ago #647695 by sylvilik
Hi there! So i have recently bought myself a nice EOS 77d.
My goal is to film short films or movies with a nice cinematic look but i do not know, which lens could possibly be the best for that. Can someone please give me some advice?
(And I'm not talking $2k lenses...)
i need to make some short films so i can apply to universities.

Thanks!

4 years 10 months ago #648840 by CharleyL
I also have a 77D. For what you are planning, could you be a little more descriptive?

If just shooting some relatively close videos of yourself, just the kit 18-55 mm should be adequate. I have a 50 mm F1.4 that I use for portrait shooting that would also work for this, but keep in mind that it isn't a zoom lens. You zoom with your feet when using this lens. The 18-55 mm should do fine for what I think you will be doing.

Lighting and sound are your next challenges, and I'm hesitant to suggest anything for either without knowing more about how you intend to be making the videos. Another question is, will you be using the camera and gear for other photography after this need, or will you be selling it?

Will you be in standing one place, like at a desk in an office atmosphere? Will you be standing and talking from behind a podium on a stage? Will you be seated across the living room? Will you be outside in a scenic area and use it for the background? What will you be saying? All of these will work, but the lighting and audio needs are radically different for each one. Making a good professional looking videos requires a lot more planning and equipment than just making still photos. 

For just making the videos for college applications, you would be way better off just hiring the work out than trying to buy camera, lenses, tripod, lighting, audio equipment, editing software, maybe a better computer with video processing capability, video processing software, and then trying to learn quickly how to make it all work properly so you can somehow end up with a professional looking set of videos. While you are standing or sitting there in this video, who will be running the equipment? In other words, You haven't even realized yet that you need all of this, have you? I really doubt that you will be successful at this huge DIY project. It's much, much bigger than just buying a camera and a lens.

You will save money and considerable time, if you have the videos made for you. Professional studios will have all of the best equipment and people who know how to use it. Do you already know how to use a video editor? Can you superimpose text on the videos? Can you splice video scenes together to make complete videos? This is all part of the process too, if you are planning to do it all yourself. A professional video studio can also help you plan what to say in the videos and how to dress properly for them. They will likely have a teleprompter too. In other words, it takes real professionals to make professional looking videos, and they are worth what they charge if the videos really have to be good. 

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024