Canon EOS 20D - Soccer photos

4 years 7 months ago #659131 by MelissaGee
Hi!  I'm new here and also new at trying to be a decent photographer ;) 

I have had this camera for more than a decade and it takes decent still photos.  I've played around with the settings but really don't know which end is up with terminology, shutter speeds or any of that.  What I'm looking for is some help on how to adjust this camera to take good action shots of soccer games.  All of my shots look blurred despite my best attempts.  I've done some research but am lost when it comes to the terminology so it does me no good :(

If anyone has any tips or tricks for dummies like me to help a noob I would really appreciate it!

4 years 7 months ago #659142 by Shadowfixer1
The faster the shutter speed the more it will freeze the action. Shutter speeds are in fractions of a second unless it is a long exposure. Here is an example. 1/30 shutter speed has the shutter open for 1/30 of a second. If you move to 1/125 of a second, the shutter is open for a much shorter period of time. Now at 1/1000 sec. shutter the shutter is open a tiny amount of time as compared to 1/30 of a second. The longer the shutter is open, the farther your subject whether a soccer player or a race car can move. You have to set the shutter speed fast enough to limit the how far the subject moves while the shutter is open. The faster the subject is moving the faster the shutter speed has to be to limit the movement during the exposure. The bigger numbers are the faster speeds for the shutter. After deciding on a shutter speed then the other exposure parameters will need to be adjusted to get the proper exposure. It's all a balancing act between, shutter speed for movement, aperture for adequate depth of field so enough of the subject is in focus and ISO to control noise, dynamic range and color fidelity. It all boils down to use a faster shutter speed to get less blurry images.
4 years 7 months ago #659157 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659160 by garyrhook
If you put your camera into shutter priority mode, choose a shutter speed of 1/1600s, or perhaps 1/2000s or 1/2500s. Let the camera pick the aperture and ISO. You'll want your focus mode to be single point, with active tracking (because of movement). Then practice.

Shooting sports is hard, and will take work if you wish to develop skills.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024