many questions here

13 years 6 months ago #3156 by redtelecaster
The snow season is coming again which means I get to shoot snowboarding/skiing again!! I currently own a Canon 50D with sigma 24-70 2.8. I want to add the canon 70-200 2.8 to my collection here soon (don’t have enough money for the mark 2), but I was curious what filters would be good to shoot with besides my UV and polarized that i currently own? Also there will be more park features at night at my resort; can anyone give advice on how to take action shots with low light? All lights will be halogen. I currently don’t own an external flash but would like to buy one. I know nothing about them!

13 years 6 months ago #4984 by Solstar
Other than a polarizer I do filters in post processing.
Action shots in low light is a challenge. Even with a fast lens it can be a trick. If you invest in a mighty 580ex or a used 550ex you should get a lot of light but are really limited to a 1/250sec max speed. My solution is not to fight it but work with it. Set the camera (or flash) to fire on the second curtain. This will give you a motion trail that will be trailing behind your subject and give a sense of speed and movement even with slooow shutter speeds. The slow shutter speeds will also give the flash more time to fill in the background. If you want to experiment I believe you can set the on-board flash to fire on the second curtain in the custom functions menu of your 50d you just won't have the flash power. Cheers.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024