Which Canon For A Novice

13 years 6 months ago #4542 by Piper
My daughter has decided that she would like to start photography. She is still in high school so I would like to get her a nice camera. I was debating between a Canon 450 D or a 500D, which would be better for a beginner?

13 years 6 months ago #4670 by Solstar
Either will probably be just fine. They have the full range of manual functions to help her learn and enough resolution to print at reasonable sizes. I still have and use an "old" (6.2 MP) 300d that takes very good pictures. You can probably take good advantage of the used market for these cameras without breaking the bank and maybe save a little more for lenses.

13 years 6 months ago #5247 by canon4me
either one... I started out with the Rebel and loved it.....3 years later, I now have the Canon 7D and really love my camera!

13 years 6 months ago #5938 by Dutch
I agree either camera would work well. And I would check with a reputable dealer for a used camera for a beginner.

13 years 5 months ago #5961 by waynescook
Here are two short descriptions of books telling how to best use these cameras. The first is the 450D and the second is the 500D. I would recommend the 450D; but, of course the decision is yours:

Source: www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/

450D:
Product Description:
Key Features
Reveals the creative potential of your camera with clear, practical guidance, great tips, and advice from an experienced photographer
Highly visual approach with camera screenshots, highlighted tip boxes, and inspiring photos throughout
Camera-specific approach coupled with a "quick-start guide" to get you taking great pictures right from the word go
Just bought a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D and looking to combine practical know-how with inspiration? This one-stop, easy-to-read guide covers all the basic functions of the camera, and everything beyond.

For the basics, turn to the quick start fuide, which will get you up and running in five minutes.

For an understanding of your camera's many controls and features, check out the section called "The Camera." If all you need is a quick explanation, you'll find it. If you're looking for the Whole Story, you'll find that, too. Settings that affect how your pictures look are accompanied by full-color examples that show you exactly what you can expect. This section also covers the camera's menus, playback features, memory, and power sources.

The section called "Software" shows you how to get the most out of your camera's software. It covers tethered shooting, color management, RAW conversion, storing your images, managing your library, and backup strategies - to name just a few topics.

Ultimately, this book's greatest strength isn't its focus on the camera or the software; it's the detailed, easy-to-follow instruction it offers on using your camera to take truly superior photographs. Sections devoted to lenses, subject matter, and light cover these variables in depth, always presenting the most effective techniques in the context of the strengths and limitations of the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D.

Written by a widely acclaimed photographer and photography teacher, Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D shows you how to get the shots you can see in your head but have never been able to capture with a camera.

Contents
The Quick Start Guide will have you taking great photos in five minutes.
In-depth coverage of every feature and control ensures that you have access to the tools you need for every shot.
Full-color examples demonstrate how different settings affect your photos.
Expert coverage of lenses, lighting, and subject matter gives you the practical knowledge you need to go after any shot.
Step-by-step instructions on photo editing and image management help you get the most out of your camera's software.
A detailed review of accessories for your camera explains which of these add-ons offer the most value for your needs.
Dozens of tips and tricks prepare you for every situation you're likely to encounter - in the field, at the studio, or at your next wedding or family reunion.

500D:
Product Description:
Welcome to the Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D, the most advanced entry-level digital SLR camera that Canon has ever introduced. David Busch's Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Guide to Digital SLR Photography shows you how to make the most of your camera's robust feature set, including 15 megapixel resolution, blazing fast automatic focus, the real-time preview system Live View, and full HD movie-making capabilities, to take outstanding photos and videos. You'll learn how, when, and, most importantly, why to use all the cool features and functions of your camera to take eye-popping photographs. Introductory chapters will help you get comfortable with the basics of your camera before you dive right into exploring creative ways to apply the Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D's exposure modes, focus controls, and electronic flash options.
This book is chock full of handson tips for choosing lenses, flash units, and software products to use with your new camera. Beautiful, full-color images illustrate where the essential buttons and dials are, so you'll quickly learn how to use your Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D, and use it well.

About the Author
With more than a million books in print, David D. Busch is a best-selling author of books on digital photography and imaging technology, and the originator of popular series like "David Busch's Pro Secrets" and "David Busch's Quick Snap Guides." He has written the top-selling guidebooks for Nikon and Canon digital SLR models, and the most comprehensive manuals for cameras from Sony, Pentax, and other vendors. His many other books devoted to digital photography include "David Busch's Digital Infrared Pro Secrets" and "Mastering Digital SLR Photography." As a roving photojournalist for more than 20 years, he has illustrated his books, magazine articles, and newspaper reports with award-winning images. Busch has operated his own commercial studio, suffocated in formal dress while shooting weddings-for-hire, and shot sports for a daily newspaper and upstate New York college. His photographs and articles have been published in magazines as diverse as "Popular Photography & Imaging," "The Rangefinder," "The Professional Photographer," and hundreds of other publications. He's also reviewed digital cameras for CNet Networks and "Computer Shopper," and his advice featured on NPR's "All Tech Considered."

I Hope this helps.
WCBIRDNLANDSC

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024