Backing-up and editing photos on the move but without taking a laptop

12 years 1 month ago #210483 by d0wn
I am wondering possible solutions people have found to backing-up and editing photos while on the move around the world but ideally without taking a laptop. I've looked over some of the online photo editors and, being used to using lightroom they aren't quite there yet. I thought maybe about accessing my computer or a server at home via logmein or similar - which would give full editing in lightroom, but the slight problem is getting the pics onto that computer in the first place. You could upload to internet wherever you are and then download to your computer at home potentially (controlling it via logmein). can anyone recommend a site to upload the photos to? or is anyone using an ftp? Anyone else been experimenting with this kind of setup??

12 years 1 month ago #210484 by ChrisPenn
It's not difficult to setup your own FTP server at home assuming your ISP doesn't complain. It's going to be a headache because of the size of your files (assuming raw) and unknown service quality while out and about.

Lets not forget that working on a remote session isn't always ideal either. Youll still need a computer to send and remote with... so why not just bring a laptop at that point.

12 years 1 month ago #210485 by d0wn
its just the weight and size thing - not to mention the stress of having an expensive laptop. Basically, anywhere I can get power for a laptop, there's an internet connection and computer anyway.
Actually I think VPS hosting is the next step with all this (and probably the future of computing) - so your software is running off exactly the same web-server as you're uploading to files to. So lightroom would be installed on a VPS which you can use over the internet and which works at the same speed as if you were running it locally (assuming a good VPS package).

I was just interested to know if any other early adopters out there are experimenting with any of this yet?

12 years 1 month ago #210486 by Hip Hop3
I haven't really had to do this yet but I can use a USB adapter to transfer pictures from the camera to my Ipad. I bought a neat piece of software that does a good job at quick basic editing. The space is limited so you can't do this on a really big scale but it works in a pinch. This app also has the ability to upload to my Flickr page. It's a lightweight solution for say a vacation etc but I wouldn't use that if I was a pro.

12 years 1 month ago #210510 by geoffellis
like 300$ will get you a basic netbook.

These are relatively light, yet compared to paying for a VPS which can easily be over 100$ a month for the type of specs you want... its actually quite a steal.

As for services like LogMeIn... i guarantee you wont like using it over the internet for resource intensive applications. It will also be laggy and unresponsive on all but the faster internet connections. This means both the internet connection of your home computer, and whatever your using where you are (and everything in between). There is no issue with getting the pictures onto the computer. As stated FTP is quite basic.

My recommendation is a basic Netbook... do your basic editing on that... and set up an FTP server so that you can transfer images to your home computer as a backup. It will save you so much more money and frustration than any of your other ideas.

And just so we're clear... I have years of experience with renting/running Dedicated Servers, and VPS's, as well as remote administration tools and services, setting up FTP servers, and much much more. Not to mention im a bit of a traveller. Im not just pulling opinions out of my ass...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024