Did you order a new MacBook Pro with M1 Pro or Max?

2 years 6 months ago #726413 by Prago
Damn, these things are expensive!  I hope the $$ is justified with crazy performance.  What configuration did you go with?  Kind of hard to purchase as I don’t know which processor and number of cores I should get.  I’ll be doing lots of photo editing with Photoshop and Lightroom and using on an external monitor.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #731645 by r1ch
No. I purchased a PC around black friday, 2 years ago when the M1 came out I bought a HP OMEN - 15.6" Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti   It was $849  AMD Ryzen 7 4800H was just as fast if not faster than the M1 in some test because it has 8 processors plus another 8 virual processor (16 threads of execution) It also had a video card that could play top tier games, no M1 could do that. It has 120 refresh rate monitor with accurate color reproduction and bright screen, not quite as good as the mac M1  It was not as energy efficient but compared to a $3k. But you could add your own memory it had another nvme drive bay. I am very happy with it.

Fast forward to now. You can get a similar Ryzen 5800h for $999. Now Intel has already produced a laptop chip faster than the M1 Max. Intel and AMD will only get better and once the start producing chips at the same manometer process, the will build faster systems than the M1 that are almost as good for a half to third the price.

M1 is a great achievement for Mac and no one can take that away but even you said how expensive they are. But Intel already has a faster processor. So.. I can buy a new PC laptop every year for the next 3 years or say every other year for the next 6 years and get the latest tech. You will be stuck with the M1Max for the next 3 to 6 years. I hope the "crazy performance" justify the cost for you.

1 year 11 months ago #737013 by JaneK
I sure did, I should have mine mid May.  I got the M1 Max with 32GB RAM and 2 TB hard drive.  

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #737651 by Colorado Mike
I went with the M1 Max, not that I really had the budget, but more so to future proof my computer just a little bit. 

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738536 by JaneK
Update: this computer is FAST!  Super fast and everything what I was hoping for.  Just to let the universe know.  :P

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738577 by lightcapture
I'm on my 4th iMac since 1996. I purchase one w/ a good processor, but not necessarily the best. Plus I get about 2x the HD capacity I'm using now. The key is to get the most Ram available for your model as that have your computer more usable into the future as technology and requirements advance.

1 year 9 months ago #740185 by Chester Foster
If you don't absolutely need right now, I would wait till fall time for M2 processors 

1 year 8 months ago #741124 by Gump
Got a Max

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024