Best amateur picture quality for under $300?

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #184453 by Halzen
Hey guys. I've been shopping around a lot for the last couple of weeks, and I'm not really getting anywhere.

Things I NEED in a camera:
- Sharp and clear pictures, day or night.
- No graininess in images. I hate that.
- A zoom that doesn't shake more than expected.
- Decent video recording at 720p or higher.

Things I would LIKE in a camera (not required):
- A flash that won't wash out portraits in very low light
- A viewfinder
- Good motion capture

Things I DON'T NEED (as in don't really care about):
- Lightweight or slim body. I plan on stashing it in a backpack or messenger bag.
- Crazy good battery life. I plan on carrying spare batteries at all times.
- A crazy long zoom. 12x is more than enough.

My ideal budget is $200-250, but I can stretch to $300 for the right camera. Any ideas would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

12 years 4 months ago #184460 by KCook
If it has to be new, the best IQ under $300 right now is the Nikon P7000, which is only 7X zoom. If a used camera is Ok, the Canon S95 also fits this price, zoom is 3.8X.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Halzen
12 years 4 months ago #184461 by geoffellis
I would say go back to bed... and keep dreaming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LisaRoze
12 years 4 months ago #184466 by Halzen

geoffellis wrote: I would say go back to bed... and keep dreaming.

At least once a day I run into some ignorant and pretentious snob like you. Do you honestly believe that the crap you lazily spew is contributing to the community in any way? I'm sure your professional camera setup makes you king of the hipster world, but there are a lot of real people (like myself) that don't give a damn. Your insufferably close-minded response is nothing more than a waste of bandwidth. Kindly piss off.

Back to our regularly scheduled posting.

KCook wrote: If it has to be new, the best IQ under $300 right now is the Nikon P7000, which is only 7X zoom. If a used camera is Ok, the Canon S95 also fits this price, zoom is 3.8X.

Kelly Cook

I scrolled by the P7k earlier, but on your referral I took a closer look. Amazon has some beautiful customer pictures taken with it! Definitely adding it to my top list. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

12 years 4 months ago #184473 by KCook
Lots more thoughts by a P7000 owner on another site -

www.boatingabc.com/forums/ubbthreads.php...0_on_sale_today.html

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Halzen
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #184481 by geoffellis

Halzen wrote:

geoffellis wrote: I would say go back to bed... and keep dreaming.

At least once a day I run into some ignorant and pretentious snob like you. Do you honestly believe that the crap you lazily spew is contributing to the community in any way? I'm sure your professional camera setup makes you king of the hipster world, but there are a lot of real people (like myself) that don't give a damn. Your insufferably close-minded response is nothing more than a waste of bandwidth. Kindly piss off.

Pretentious snob... perhaps... I dont care. others can decide for themselves. but ignorant definitely I am not. That fits your bill though. You obviously havent done much research into photography.

"Sharp and Clear pictures day or night". Hello... a camera captures an exposure using LIGHT. The lack of light at NIGHT makes this an issue. The solution is often higher ISO or slower shutter speeds... but slower shutter speeds are more likely to cause blur... and ISO causes "graininess". Which leads to requirement #2... "No Graininess".

So.... your first 2 requirements defy reality... Some may be better at it than others... but strictly speaking... keep dreaming. Im not even going to waste my time with your other do's and dont's.

the P7000 is no doubt one of the best youre gonna find for your budget... but that doesnt mean its gonna even come close to your expectations. Heck I dont think any camera will. at 250$ you shouldnt be expecting that much anyways. 100-250$ is like an entry level p+s range. Some will have certain features that excel, others that lack. At that price point you gotta find *realistic* requirements and then decide which camera fits *most* of them.

but ya know... based on your on your first 2 posts here... i wonder if all these ignorant people you meet on a daily basis... are really the ignorant ones :thumbsup:
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #184600 by PT Admin
Please stick to the original thread topic. Personal attacks and insults are not welcomed here and any further off topic posts will be deleted.

New to the forum? Please read the forum rules at www.photographytalk.com/terms-of-use
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Trent photography
12 years 3 months ago #184612 by Baydream
I would like add my 2 cents. with the understanding that many are on a very tight budget. You may not get everything you want but close enought to improve your options. While I shoot Canons (XT, XTi and now 60D for DSLR, I really like Panasonics for point and shoot models. That's what I carry and they seem to stay near the top in value and reduces shutter delay.
Take a look at this model. It's in your budget and gets good reviews. Good luck and welcome to PT.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752060-RE..._Digital_Camera.html

Thanks you for joining PT.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #184620 by Halzen
The P7000 is starting to look like my top choice. Currently, it's running alongside the Olympus PEN E-PL1, which might be more camera than I need. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. :)

12 years 3 months ago #184623 by Screamin Scott
While a bit brusque in his answer, geoffellis is pretty much right. You will be limited to point & shoot models & even then they may not satisfy you...Some of your requirements are entirely controllable by you as the photographer to a degree, but require a well rounder understanding of the camera & it's limitations as well as optical principles....You might find an older, used DSLR more suitable to what you are looking for, but then you need lenses & the cost goes up again...Use of a tripod will help ensure sharp shots...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #184626 by Rob pix4u2
The Nikon P7000 will get you started on your way in photography but as has been said a DSLR will more than likely be an option that better meets your requirements. Nikon D90 for example can be found used and in good shape , check KEH and B&H ( site sponsors at the bottom of the page) and you may be able to find a used DSLR that fits your requirements as well.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 3 months ago #184632 by KCook

Halzen wrote: The P7000 is starting to look like my top choice. Currently, it's running alongside the Olympus PEN E-PL1, which might be more camera than I need. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. :)

For the same price as a new Oly E-PL1 you can usually find used (not new) Canon Rebel and Nikon D40/60 DSLR models.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 3 months ago #184654 by Halzen
I considered getting a used DSLR, but the cost will outweigh the benefits at this time. The camera body alone is likely to push my budget, and then I'm buying lenses, filters, tripods, and bags to get the most out of it. The P7000 can be had with a bag and screen protectors for about $250, and extending its use with lenses, filters, and tripods will be cheaper than a full-size body. Down the road I definitely hope to drop a couple grand on a DSLR setup that I can really get into. For the time being, I believe this will do.

12 years 3 months ago #184694 by KCook
The lens on the P7000 is fixed to the body. Not interchangeable. So filters and extra lenses are out of the equation entirely. If filters are important to you, then get a DSLR (or Micro4/3) instead. DSLR cameras do not require a tripod any more than a point-and-shoot does. However they do weigh a little more, so need a little beefier tripod.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 3 months ago #184793 by Halzen

KCook wrote: The lens on the P7000 is fixed to the body. Not interchangeable. So filters and extra lenses are out of the equation entirely.

Well, I know it's not the most ideal solution, but Nikon has made adapters available for the P7000 to take certain lenses and filters. You can get a decent kit for about $60-80. I wouldn't rely heavily on them; it's just a variety thing, I guess.

It also looks like firmware updates dramatically improved the P7000's responsiveness, especially when it comes to RAW processing (something I've never bothered trying before). So far, winner winner. :P

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024