Clarity..In the lens or the camera body?

12 years 2 months ago #199338 by laloggia
I currently have a Canon rebel xsi. I also have the 15-85mm lens, 70-300mm, and 100 mm macro. My pics are not producing the level of clarity Im expecting. Is an upgrade of lens needed, or a new camera body?

I know the lenses i have are not Canon's top of the line. Particularly the 70-300mm. How much does mega pixles come into play when it comes to clarity? Mine is 12.2.

Im not sure which to upgrade to get higher quality clarity. Any thoughts??

Thanks. :patriot:

12 years 2 months ago #199340 by KCook
I hesitate to hit the basics, but:

Are you shooting JPG or RAW?

Is your monitor calibrated?

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 2 months ago #199368 by Darrell

KCook wrote: I hesitate to hit the basics, but:

Are you shooting JPG or RAW?

Is your monitor calibrated?

Kelly Cook

:agree:

Is this a new isuue or have you ever got good pictures with the camera....

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #199371 by TheNissanMan
I believe the xSi is the 500D over here in the UK (I think), if so the 70-300 is a cracking lens and capable of some very good results as should any lens if used correctly.

I would not rush to pick up some new glass as could well be the settings used on the camera, it would be a good idea to post some photo's that you are not happy with, with the exif info and see if anyone can offer some advice :)

12 years 2 months ago #199373 by Darrell
:agree:

The camera and the lens are all capable of taking good pictures

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #199377 by chasrich
Show us what you got - the shutter release device (you the photographer) just needs a little re-enforcement perhaps... :woohoo:

Also... :welcomeclan

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #199389 by Stealthy Ninja

TheNissanMan wrote: I believe the xSi is the 500D over here in the UK (I think), if so the 70-300 is a cracking lens and capable of some very good results as should any lens if used correctly.

I would not rush to pick up some new glass as could well be the settings used on the camera, it would be a good idea to post some photo's that you are not happy with, with the exif info and see if anyone can offer some advice :)

The Canon 70-300 is an OK lens. But then 70-200 f/4L IS kicks it's butt all over the place (I've tested both together).

The glass (lenses) is the most important thing when it comes to getting good sharp/nice shots. After that the better the body the more chance you'll get of getting the most out of said lens.
12 years 2 months ago #199405 by TheNissanMan
I agree entirely that the 70-200 range kick the 70-300 and that glass is the most important thing in the quality of the shot, but as the OP has the 70-300 I was refering to the original question.

It's daft to buy new glass if the problem is not or may not be with existing equipment. The 70-300 is more than capable of getting superb pictures and is extremely well regarded in it's price range (I have also used both side by side or would not have offered an opinion :) )

A couple of shots I am happy with using the 500D and 70-300mm lens...

12 years 2 months ago #199972 by Vikas Kahol
What exactly do you mean by clarity?

1. Are your pictures blurred or out of focus?
2. Are they not sharp because they lack contrast?
3. Do you fail to get the near correct coulours in your pictures?

Generally, good pictures depend on the quality of lenses viz-a-viz one's capability to understand light and manipulate it to advantage. A proper use of camera controls also helps to achieve good results. Since you are using an SLR you must carefully chose the correct metering mode. The focus mode should also selected carefully in addition to an optimum aperture value to achieve the desired results. A small f-number induces shallow depth of field and the entire frame in the picture not seem sharp.

To achieve contrast, click subjects against darker backdrops or with the light source on the side.

To get near correct colours, you need to master metering and understand how exposure behaves in a particular situation and metering priority.

The quality of a camera and lenses do matter but Rebel with your lenses should give you sharp pictures.

Happy Clicking!

Vikas

Vikas Kahol
Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024