Seriously considering switching brands, any thoughts?

10 years 10 months ago #284972 by rmeyer7
I usually tell people it's not worth switching once you're invested in one system. But the more I think about it the more it seems to make sense.

Here are my reasons...
1) What I want is a full-frame body with good low-light/high ISO capability and AF
2) The Canon that best suits what I want is the 5Diii, which costs around $3,300 to $3,500
3) The D600 has exactly the features I want and is almost $1,500 less while having better IQ and high ISO performance
4) Video quality isn't a big factor, the D600 is good enough for any video shooting I might decide to do
5) I think the cross-type AF points on the D600 should be sufficient for me too, I'm not a pro sports photographer after all
6) D600 plus a 24-70 (used in EX condition from KEH) would be roughly the same price as a 5Diii alone, and I can probably make up a good percentage of the purchase by selling my 5D, lenses and speedlights, so my out-of-pocket expense is lower with the Nikon

It seems like the 6D was supposed to be the competitor to the D600...yet the D600 not only mops the floor with it but also competes with (and in some ways beats) the higher-end 5Diii. So what are the good reasons to not switch?

10 years 10 months ago #284991 by KCook
While I do use high ISO occasionally, the noise that comes with it does not bother me that much. I would be inclined to decide this on specific lenses.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 10 months ago #285003 by garyrhook

rmeyer7 wrote: So what are the good reasons to not switch?

Can't think of any. You've covered the points relevant to your situation. If the tool fits....

Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #285066 by rmeyer7
Half of me was hoping someone would talk me out of this...I guess half of me is a Canon fanboy.

As far as lenses are concerned, when/if I make the switch I'll be selling a Canon 24-105 f4L and replacing it with a Nikkor 24-70 f2.8. Right now I've found the combination of a factory refurbished D600 and that lens for just about $3k. Selling my current gear should cover another lens for longer length and possibly a speedlight. That still puts me a few hundred bucks under the price of the 5Diii.

And yet I'm still on the fence about it for some reason.

10 years 10 months ago #285080 by garyrhook

rmeyer7 wrote: And yet I'm still on the fence about it for some reason.

OK, $0.02 more.

I think we can become emotionally attached to our equipment (this happens a lot with musicians) and it becomes an extension of ourselves. It may help to try to step back from the fact that you currently own Canon and really think about the choice of tools. Because at the end of the day that's all these things are.

Perhaps you could try thinking along these lines: If you did not currently own any equipment at all, what would you be considering based on your current needs? And budget? Now, as a separate consideration, how are you going to fund that purchase? It's like buying an automobile: separate the pieces and consider each alone: price of new, sale of old, financing.

Finally, if you need to do some introspection, what is it about the Canon brand that you like? And how is that relevant to this decision?

Me, I went with Nikon because I had a friend that was using one, and I was impressed with the results. At the time, the consensus was that the equipment had better low-light performance and that was critical to my goals. We all understand that both are fine choices so it really comes down to which one will best meet your goals. I think you've already answered that question.

Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #285088 by KCook
Man, that Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 weighs a bunch more than the Canon 14-105. If I made the switch to Nikon my aching back would be tempted to step back from zooms and break this down into primes.

no help Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 9 months ago #287908 by Don Fischer

rmeyer7 wrote: Half of me was hoping someone would talk me out of this...I guess half of me is a Canon fanboy.

As far as lenses are concerned, when/if I make the switch I'll be selling a Canon 24-105 f4L and replacing it with a Nikkor 24-70 f2.8. Right now I've found the combination of a factory refurbished D600 and that lens for just about $3k. Selling my current gear should cover another lens for longer length and possibly a speedlight. That still puts me a few hundred bucks under the price of the 5Diii.

And yet I'm still on the fence about it for some reason.

Has it occurred to you that you might be a Canon fan boy because you are so familiar with the camera you have? You know what your Canon will do but don't, other than what you've read, know about the Nikon. Before you throw your Canon under the bus, why don't you see if you can rent the camera and lens your interested in and take it out shooting for awhile? That should tell you what you want to know and you don't have to give up the Canon and take a chance on the Nikon.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024