Panasonic lx10 vs Canon G7x mark 2

1 year 8 months ago #558731 by techyogini
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum but have been an enthusist for many years.

Currently I own an Olympus EM10 Mark ii. That is my primary camera along with a few lenses. 

I am looking for a compact camera to carry with me at all times. For the most part shots will be for social media sharing. I'ved narrowed my search to two options: the Panasonic LX10 or the Canon G7x Mark ii.

Spec wise the Panasonic seems the easy choice. Slightly faster lens and 4k video capacity should that become important to me (it's not right now.) Their post focus function is also intriguing but I have difficulty imagining I will use it often. 

The G7x mark ii attracts me because it seems like the general usability is a little more practical. I am short, 5ft 2" so the ability to angle the touch screen downward is something I can see many scenarios I would use it. The Panasonic doesn't do this. The G7x also has an ND filter - which seems potentially useful as well. I've looked into magfilters (I like to photograph our saltwater aquariums and a brown filter would help - actinic LEDs are horrible for photography). Apparently they make one for the G7x but not for the Panasonic. 

For these reasons I'm leaning towards the G7x even though it doesn't have 4k, it's a smidge brighter and has some intriguing shooting modes. 
Does anyone have any first hand experience with these cameras? 

Appreciate any comments or feedback. Btw I ruled out the Sony due to price and the lack of an articulating screen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 8 months ago #558936 by garyrhook
Unless you have a 4k television or monitor, no one cares about 4k. Most of what you see online is, at best, HD. And compressed at that.

They both look quite nice. But Panasonic is better at video overall (in general). Both shoot RAW, and I'd suggest you not worry about any filter other than that ND and learn to shoot RAW and process in post. If you really want to develop your skills, that is.

That said, either will work a treat for you. Prioritize your feature list (must have, really want, want, meh) and go from there. And if you haven't gone to a store to hold them and play with them, you really need to do that. You may find a clear winner when you lay hands on them.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: techyogini

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Canon T7i is an entry-level camera with some excellent features that will help you learn and grow as a photographer. Find out if it's the right camera for you in this Canon T7i review.

Sep 09, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Camera sling bags are a top choice for photographers that want functionality, comfort, and ease of use. Here's our pick for the top 5 camera sling bags of 2019.

Sep 18, 2019

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

Not sure what to give the photographer on your shopping list? With a $5,000 budget, the possibilities are endless! Check out our picks for the best gifts for photographers under $5,000.

Sep 13, 2019

With these innovative camera accessories, you can extend the functionality and ease of use of your camera and give yourself a better ability to capture the beauty around you.

Sep 12, 2019

Learn how to master the art of wide-angle landscape photography with four simple tips that will greatly improve the quality of your landscape photos.

Sep 12, 2019

Are you sick of your gear weighing your shoulders down, causing undue neck and shoulder pain? With the new Holdfast Gear Tanker Belt, you can carry your gear in total comfort on your hips.

Sep 12, 2019

Photo by Prince Akachi on Unsplash #NoBudgetNoPhotos is going viral after a photographer, Nafa Ribeiro, revealed damning emails...

Sep 12, 2019