upgrade to the 4K video

1 year 6 months ago #613705 by Stoimenov
Hi all,
I have a dilemma that I hope you can help me with. I want to start shooting a 4K video and I need an upgrade. Currently I have a Canon 6D. The idea is with minimum expenses to transition into the 4K world. The options that I see and will cost me about the same are the following:

1. Not to sell my Canon 6D and buy Sony a6300 with kit lens - here for me the advantage is that I will keep the Canon lenses I already have and will not need to change them
Do you think it is better to have 2 separate cameras (1 for photos and 1 for video), what are the advantages?

2. Sell the 6D and switch to Canon 5D Mark IV - here again the advantage is that I will keep the lenses I have.
3. Sell the 6D and switch to Sony a7 III - here I will have to change all the lenses, because the reviews I read of shooting with an adapter and canon lenses are not that good.

Keeping in mind that option 2 is the most expensive and 1 and 3 are almost with the same cost for me. Of course in option 3 I did not calculate how much I would spent on possible change of the lenses.

Which option would you choose? And why?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 6 months ago #614255 by garyrhook
Neither.

If you're willing to acquire the right tool for the job, ditch the Canon and Sony idea and get a Panasonic G7 or 9 or something decent that excels at video and has interchangeable lenses. IOW use the right tool for the job.

(Disclosure: I own a full frame Nikon DSLR and a G7.)

You could also consider a GH4 with a firmware upgrade.

You will need additional lenses, however, but the 14-140 zoom that I use on my G7 is pretty impressive. The nice part is that any micro 4/3s lens can be used, as they're all standardized.

If you're going to shoot 4k you're going to need plenty of fast media cards, and lots of hard drive storage. Don't forget about that.

My $0.02.

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

Latest Articles

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

Canvas or paper prints can be a nice addition to your home, but each one has distinct advantages and disadvantages that are helpful to know before you buy.

May 27, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

I have two high-powered laptops on my desk. In this Macbook vs Razer comparison, I'll break these computers down by specs, pros, and cons.

May 27, 2020

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

If you're in the market for a new camera strap and you want something custom and handmade, look no further than these custom camera straps from Holdfast.

May 26, 2020

You can learn nude photography with any kind of camera. What's more important is to focus on the process and making the model (and yourself) as comfortable as possible.

May 26, 2020