Advice Request for New Camera Equipment

2 years 2 months ago #616073 by Sharpie1
I am in the market for an easy-to-manage, somewhat lightweight and compact camera.  I currently have both a Nikon and Canon (older) DSLR.  I prefer Canon.  I have the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens and I shoot exclusively without flash.  I am by no means an experienced photographer.  

I would like a new camera to replace my extremely old Canon DSLR that has a CF card that is a headache to use.  I don't care if it is a DSLR or not - but I would like to replicate the performance of the 50mm f1.8 lens.  In fact, I prefer a prime lens.  

The perfect camera would be a point and shoot sized camera with wifi and large LCD that has a 50mm prime f1.8 or f1.4 lens attached and no zoom.  Prime 50mm only.

If this doesn't exist, I would take one that has a zoom lens built in - as long as it matches the speed of the 50mm f1.8 (and offers that focal length within the zoom range).

If this doesn't exist, I guess I will just need to get another EOS camera body.

Any helpful suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks...   TD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 2 months ago #616624 by garyrhook
You should look at a mirrorless micro 4/3s system with interchangeable lenses. There are many choices available to you, and some very good lenses.

Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago #616662 by GaryA
Hey Sharpie-

You never mentioned a price-point/budget amount or how you plan to use the camera. I know you’re looking for a 50mm FOV ... but ... I am recommending a mirrorless Fuji x100F, fixed lens camera.  Okay, the lens is a f/2 23mm which feeds an APSC sensor which I turn translates to a full frame equivalent FOV of 35mm.  If you really really want a 50mm Full Frame equivalent ... I still recommend a Fuji mirrorless, maybe a XT20, or a XT3 w/ a 35mm F/2 lens.  Fuji lenses are amazing, Fuji build quality is top notch and Fuji designs its cameras with all the primary functions/adjustments on the surface of the cameras ... hence no menu diving for shutter speed, aperture, ISO, et cetera. 

To be honest, nearly all modern digital cameras will deliver exceptional images.  You won’t go wrong purchasing any of the major brands, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, et al ... they are all damn good and there isn’t a lot a difference ... except for camera with ISO Invarience sensors.  A ISO Invarience sensor allows the photographer to adjust the ISO during post processing and the image will appear similar to an image with the ISO adjusted in the field. I know that Sony, Nikon and Fuji have ISO Invarient sensors ... other manufactures may have caught up with their sensor designs ... I don’t know.  

One of the reasons I like mirrorless is that they have an Electronic Viewfinder.  An EVF allows you to see the image as it will appear on the memory card.  I rarely adust my settings per the light meter as I find it faster and more accurate to adjust the settings per my eye than per the light meter.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon PowerShot SX70 HS is a newer bridge camera that's loaded with features in a small, portable body.

Jan 22, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

Latest Articles

By using these hot real estate photography trends, you'll be able to create images that help your properties stand out from the crowd.

Jan 22, 2021

The Canon PowerShot SX70 HS is a newer bridge camera that's loaded with features in a small, portable body.

Jan 22, 2021

With these basic photography tips, you'll learn about four exciting ways to print your photos that will help you bring your images to life.

Jan 22, 2021

There are plenty of reasons why you should use a teleprompter, not the least of which is to have better eye contact with the camera.

Jan 21, 2021

Learn how to get more leads by optimizing your website and making it as user-friendly as possible. More leads equals more business, so this is an easy way to boost your bottom line.

Jan 19, 2021

Use these simple mobile photography tips to get better results whether you have an iPhone or an Android device.

Jan 19, 2021

Text messaging for business can help you in many ways, from keeping in touch with clients to sending invoices to get paid. Learn other benefits in this photography business guide.

Jan 18, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021