Advice Request for New Camera Equipment

5 years 5 months ago #616073 by Sharpie1
I am in the market for an easy-to-manage, somewhat lightweight and compact camera.  I currently have both a Nikon and Canon (older) DSLR.  I prefer Canon.  I have the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens and I shoot exclusively without flash.  I am by no means an experienced photographer.  

I would like a new camera to replace my extremely old Canon DSLR that has a CF card that is a headache to use.  I don't care if it is a DSLR or not - but I would like to replicate the performance of the 50mm f1.8 lens.  In fact, I prefer a prime lens.  

The perfect camera would be a point and shoot sized camera with wifi and large LCD that has a 50mm prime f1.8 or f1.4 lens attached and no zoom.  Prime 50mm only.

If this doesn't exist, I would take one that has a zoom lens built in - as long as it matches the speed of the 50mm f1.8 (and offers that focal length within the zoom range).

If this doesn't exist, I guess I will just need to get another EOS camera body.

Any helpful suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks...   TD

5 years 5 months ago #616624 by garyrhook
You should look at a mirrorless micro 4/3s system with interchangeable lenses. There are many choices available to you, and some very good lenses.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #616662 by GaryA
Hey Sharpie-

You never mentioned a price-point/budget amount or how you plan to use the camera. I know you’re looking for a 50mm FOV ... but ... I am recommending a mirrorless Fuji x100F, fixed lens camera.  Okay, the lens is a f/2 23mm which feeds an APSC sensor which I turn translates to a full frame equivalent FOV of 35mm.  If you really really want a 50mm Full Frame equivalent ... I still recommend a Fuji mirrorless, maybe a XT20, or a XT3 w/ a 35mm F/2 lens.  Fuji lenses are amazing, Fuji build quality is top notch and Fuji designs its cameras with all the primary functions/adjustments on the surface of the cameras ... hence no menu diving for shutter speed, aperture, ISO, et cetera. 

To be honest, nearly all modern digital cameras will deliver exceptional images.  You won’t go wrong purchasing any of the major brands, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, et al ... they are all damn good and there isn’t a lot a difference ... except for camera with ISO Invarience sensors.  A ISO Invarience sensor allows the photographer to adjust the ISO during post processing and the image will appear similar to an image with the ISO adjusted in the field. I know that Sony, Nikon and Fuji have ISO Invarient sensors ... other manufactures may have caught up with their sensor designs ... I don’t know.  

One of the reasons I like mirrorless is that they have an Electronic Viewfinder.  An EVF allows you to see the image as it will appear on the memory card.  I rarely adust my settings per the light meter as I find it faster and more accurate to adjust the settings per my eye than per the light meter.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024