Recommend a camera with good auto focus and decent JPEG files in $500-600 .

2 months 3 weeks ago #646560 by Eljo-Anthony-N-J
Hi !
I'm a newbie when it comes to shooting pics with a dedicated camera (though I had a Samsung zoom camera for a while). My main purpose is taking pics of my toddlers . So, I think I need a camera with fast autofocus and optical image stabilization.
I would appreciate your recommendations and opinions. 

I'm from India and the prices of cameras are higher than in the US. So, I plan to buy from sites like newegg and ship it to UAE (my brother is there). UAE charges 5%+5% (import tax+VAT) but that would still be lower than the amount India customs would charge.

cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 weeks ago #646675 by garyrhook
AF is a by-product of the camera body and the lens. And you might want fast glass if you're dealing with kids.

That said, you might want to look at a Panasonic Lumix solution, or a micro 4/3s system. Both might be out of your budget, which leads to looking at used equipment.

As for decent JPGs, that's not an objective assessment, but most real cameras will do better than mobile phones in that area (IMNSHO).

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eljo-Anthony-N-J

2 months 3 weeks ago #646686 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Eljo

I would also suggest a Panny solution - mostly because I use that equipment and find it excellent in value and overall performance

If you want interchangeable lenses - then consider one of the GH - m4/3 models [refer to DP Review.com for specs and reviews] or if you want an all-in-one camera, seriously consider the FZ-300/330. Also a great camera with all the usual high-end features plus video should you want to record the children's activities

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #646711 by Eljo-Anthony-N-J
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationThanks for the heads-up guys!
I almost bought the Canon EOS M100 lol:D

OK, I'll go for the 4/3 sensor cameras but would it limit my future needs?
I mean, I'm the "tech guy" in the neighborhood and might get asked to photograph small functions/get-togethers, etc which might need shallow depth of field of bigger sensors (if I'm understanding DOF correctly!). It's not a biggy though as this article dissects various issues of that format.
robertreiser.photography/is-micro-four-thirds-good-enough/

I have compiled a list of cameras according to DPreview's buying guide.

1. Olympus OM D E M III:   www.newegg.com/global/ae-en/p/N82E168301...D6H5EF1513-_-Product

2. Panasonic Lumix G85: 

www.newegg.com/global/ae-en/p/0UP-0072-0...G3J8YV5104-_-Product

3. Canon Rebel SL2:     www.newegg.com/global/ae-en/p/0UP-009J-0...G3J8DN1599-_-Product

4. Canon Rebel SL3:   www.newegg.com/global/ae-en/p/0UP-009J-0...G3J96K0099-_-Product

5. Sony A6000:   www.newegg.com/global/ae-en/p/N82E168301...G3J90Y1989-_-Product

6. Sony A5100:   www.croma.com//sony-ilce-5100l-e-mount-c...NAsc4JsHAXMBsW4Jhg==

7. Canon EOS M100  www.tatacliq.com/canon-eos-m100-with-15-...a:hasoffers:15032017

2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #646712 by Eljo-Anthony-N-J

2 months 2 weeks ago #646845 by Eljo-Anthony-N-J
I got a deal for Olympus OM D E M III (refurbished). It can be had for like 485 USD OR a Sony Alpha 6000 (used) for a similar price.

Which one to go for?

2 months 2 weeks ago #646914 by garyrhook
I find that the sensor size and pixel size have less of an affect on DoF than other parameters. With fast glass you can get very nice blur just fine.

Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #647039 by Eljo-Anthony-N-J
Any comment on the Olympus OM DE M10 III vs Sony Alpha 6000 matchup ?

2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #647170 by Eljo-Anthony-N-J
Sorry folks, I bought myself a used Sony A6000 but I'm not happy with the purchase (buyers remorse :P)
I'm now thinking I should have gone for the Olympus with 5D image stabilization and weather sealing. But, I have made the decision and have to deal with it.

Sorry again to those who have tried to help me in this thread!

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X100F review, learn about its essential features and specs, its pros and cons, and where you can pick one up for a great price.

Aug 16, 2019

The Nikon D500 might be several years old, but it's still a highly capable camera. In this Nikon D500 review, learn why it's still a good investment in 2019.

Aug 16, 2019

In this Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S review, learn about its specs, features, build quality, handling, price, and more.

Aug 13, 2019

The Fujifilm X-T2 might be three years old, but it's still a highly capable camera with specs and features that will suit just about any photographer in 2019.

Aug 12, 2019

Latest Articles

Sure, photography gear is expensive, but with these top gifts for photographers under $100, you can get your loved one an awesome gift without breaking the bank!

Aug 23, 2019

Photo by Martin dela Nougerede, UCL MSSL I was listening to a podcast the other day where I found out that there is a group of scientists (astrophysicists,...

Aug 23, 2019

If you're in the market for a gear upgrade, be sure you learn what to check when buying a used camera before you drop any cash on a new-to-you camera.

Aug 22, 2019

Where can you see the northern lights? All over the Northern Hemisphere...but the locations listed here are among the best sites to take in the view of the northern lights.

Aug 22, 2019

Shopping for photography insurance isn't exactly an excited venture, but with the best photography insurance companies of 2019/2020, you can at least get affordable coverage you need quickly and easily!

Aug 21, 2019

With a big budget, there's no end to what you can give your favorite photographer this holiday season. See what some of the best gifts for photographers under $2,500 are in 2019!

Aug 20, 2019

Photography clients can be hard to find and even harder to keep, but with these photography business tips, you'll learn how to retain clients for the long-term.

Aug 20, 2019

Though being a new photographer means you probably have a ton of questions, there are some beginner photography questions that professionals are tired of hearing.

Aug 19, 2019