Recommend a camera with good auto focus and decent JPEG files in $500-600 .

7 months 3 weeks ago #646560 by Eljo-Anthony-N-J
Hi !
I'm a newbie when it comes to shooting pics with a dedicated camera (though I had a Samsung zoom camera for a while). My main purpose is taking pics of my toddlers . So, I think I need a camera with fast autofocus and optical image stabilization.
I would appreciate your recommendations and opinions. 

I'm from India and the prices of cameras are higher than in the US. So, I plan to buy from sites like newegg and ship it to UAE (my brother is there). UAE charges 5%+5% (import tax+VAT) but that would still be lower than the amount India customs would charge.

cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 months 3 weeks ago #646675 by garyrhook
AF is a by-product of the camera body and the lens. And you might want fast glass if you're dealing with kids.

That said, you might want to look at a Panasonic Lumix solution, or a micro 4/3s system. Both might be out of your budget, which leads to looking at used equipment.

As for decent JPGs, that's not an objective assessment, but most real cameras will do better than mobile phones in that area (IMNSHO).

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eljo-Anthony-N-J

7 months 3 weeks ago #646686 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Eljo

I would also suggest a Panny solution - mostly because I use that equipment and find it excellent in value and overall performance

If you want interchangeable lenses - then consider one of the GH - m4/3 models [refer to DP Review.com for specs and reviews] or if you want an all-in-one camera, seriously consider the FZ-300/330. Also a great camera with all the usual high-end features plus video should you want to record the children's activities

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #646711 by Eljo-Anthony-N-J
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationThanks for the heads-up guys!
I almost bought the Canon EOS M100 lol:D

OK, I'll go for the 4/3 sensor cameras but would it limit my future needs?
I mean, I'm the "tech guy" in the neighborhood and might get asked to photograph small functions/get-togethers, etc which might need shallow depth of field of bigger sensors (if I'm understanding DOF correctly!). It's not a biggy though as this article dissects various issues of that format.
robertreiser.photography/is-micro-four-thirds-good-enough/

I have compiled a list of cameras according to DPreview's buying guide.

1. Olympus OM D E M III:   www.newegg.com/global/ae-en/p/N82E168301...D6H5EF1513-_-Product

2. Panasonic Lumix G85: 

www.newegg.com/global/ae-en/p/0UP-0072-0...G3J8YV5104-_-Product

3. Canon Rebel SL2:     www.newegg.com/global/ae-en/p/0UP-009J-0...G3J8DN1599-_-Product

4. Canon Rebel SL3:   www.newegg.com/global/ae-en/p/0UP-009J-0...G3J96K0099-_-Product

5. Sony A6000:   www.newegg.com/global/ae-en/p/N82E168301...G3J90Y1989-_-Product

6. Sony A5100:   www.croma.com//sony-ilce-5100l-e-mount-c...NAsc4JsHAXMBsW4Jhg==

7. Canon EOS M100  www.tatacliq.com/canon-eos-m100-with-15-...a:hasoffers:15032017

7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #646712 by Eljo-Anthony-N-J

7 months 3 weeks ago #646845 by Eljo-Anthony-N-J
I got a deal for Olympus OM D E M III (refurbished). It can be had for like 485 USD OR a Sony Alpha 6000 (used) for a similar price.

Which one to go for?

7 months 3 weeks ago #646914 by garyrhook
I find that the sensor size and pixel size have less of an affect on DoF than other parameters. With fast glass you can get very nice blur just fine.

Photo Comments

7 months 2 weeks ago #647039 by Eljo-Anthony-N-J
Any comment on the Olympus OM DE M10 III vs Sony Alpha 6000 matchup ?

7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #647170 by Eljo-Anthony-N-J
Sorry folks, I bought myself a used Sony A6000 but I'm not happy with the purchase (buyers remorse :P)
I'm now thinking I should have gone for the Olympus with 5D image stabilization and weather sealing. But, I have made the decision and have to deal with it.

Sorry again to those who have tried to help me in this thread!

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z50 is an entry-level mirrorless camera, but has many high-end features that make it an interesting proposition for many photographers. Get the scoop on this little camera in this Nikon Z50 review.

Jan 15, 2020

In this Sony a7 III vs Nikon D500 head-to-head battle, find out which camera best suits your needs for still photography and video (and your budget, too).

Jan 09, 2020

The Panasonic GH4 might be going on six years old, but it still packs a punch, even in 2020. Learn about all the specs and features of this camera in our Panasonic GH4 review.

Dec 31, 2019

If you have your eye on a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, check out its specs, pricing, and availability to be sure you get the best deal.

Dec 26, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

With options for just about every budget, this list of the best microphones of 2020 has something for everyone and just about every purpose.

Jan 24, 2020

Buying a used DSLR can be an adventure if you don't know what to look for or where to buy from. Use these tips for buying a used DSLR to get the best deal and the best quality camera possible.

Jan 23, 2020

Using a drone for B-roll is an excellent option for getting interesting footage that enhances your videos. Get a few tips for shooting B-roll with a drone in this tutorial.

Jan 23, 2020

The best backdrops can make your portraits shine with beautiful colors and textures that add interest to the shot. But what are the best photography backdrops? Consult this list to find out!

Jan 22, 2020

There are all types of graduated ND filters, each of which offers specific benefits for your landscape photography. Find out the benefits of these filters in this guide!

Jan 22, 2020

If you're in the market for an inexpensive full frame camera this year, look no further than this list of some cheap full frame mirrorless and DSLR options.

Jan 20, 2020

What photography gear upgrades are you planning for 2020? As you update your kit, bear these essential photography accessories in mind.

Jan 20, 2020

Not sure how to earn more money as a photographer? With these photography business tips, learn how to boost your photography income and improve your bottom line.

Jan 16, 2020