beginner camera recommendations

6 months 5 days ago #671199 by dimtick
i'm looking for some recommendations.  
I live in Cleveland.  For new years eve we had the idea to drive around and take 20 selfies at all the big landmarks.  all we used was a phone and a selfie stick.  It was a fun night but i was disappointed with the photo's and vowed that i would get a camera, tripod and a clue so that next year we would have much better results.

I'm looking for a camera that takes good low light wide angle portrait shots.   i don't want anything that's bulky or difficult to use.  this is just for family use so nothing crazy but at the same time i recognize that you get what you pay for.  my thought is that anything that can handle this specific situation will probably be able to handle all our other needs.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 5 days ago #671234 by garyrhook
A "better" camera isn't going to help with challenging situations like that. You're extremely back-lit (in your example), and without artificial fill light, you're not going to light up your faces. The camera you use is fundamentally irrelevant.

I'm not sure what I would recommend.... A modest, used DSLR (Nikon D3300, e.g.) and a speedlight would probably be the place to start.

Photo Comments

6 months 4 days ago #671300 by dimtick
Thanks for the reply.
yeah, i'm leaning towards a dslr. from the online research that i've done i was thinking of a sony A6000. i like that it's compact and there seems to be a lot of lens options. it has a built in flash but i don't know if it would be good for low light shots.
any thoughts would be appreciated.

5 months 3 weeks ago #672695 by amatula
Do you live near a photo store?
Generally, you can demo in store and you can ask if you can shoot outside; go during early evening when the sun is setting and demo. Check how it feels in your hands (ease of handling and using the camera), how you like the photos, (can ask perhaps if they will load the photos to a USB drive so you can review them too at home -- a store did that for me).

The reason I say that is, I can rave on the ease of holding and using the Canon Rebel SL1 (which I own) and lament that big full-frame cameras feel **big** and very heavy in my hands, but I am petite; so this would not necessarily apply to someone else. We all have personal preferences in that regard, so it is hard to recommend a specific camera.

And the salesman/saleswoman should be able to offer suggestions too.
Personally I would recommend getting a camera with a pop-up flash (which would have been helpful for the photo you took).

You would also want to check on self-timer functionality of the camera (if you want to be in the photos and no one is around to take the photo). Check how that works.

Just some thoughts that came to mind.
Happy looking!

Annie.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

Latest Articles

In the Canon EOS 80d vs Canon EOS 90D debate, you might think that the 90D is a hands-down winner since it's newer. But that might not be the case.

Jul 06, 2020

Using these marketing ideas for photographers, you can reach potential clients in an authentic way, and do so without spending a dime.

Jul 03, 2020

Getting started in nude photography is all about being comfortable with yourself as a photographer. Get some basic tips for starting your nude photography career!

Jul 03, 2020

The Nikon Z6 has been out for two years, and in that time, its pros and cons have become very clear. Get a rundown of the Nikon Z6 features and price in this quick review.

Jul 02, 2020

While travel is restricted in 2020, there are still opportunities to attend photography workshops in 2020 and 2021. Start planning now for your adventure later!

Jul 02, 2020

tripod alternatives, how to stabilize your camera, camera stabilization techniques, bean bags for cameras, mini tripod, how to shoot without a tripod

Jul 01, 2020

In the Nikon Z50 vs Canon EOS M6 Mark II debate, which one comes out on top? Consult this comparison review to see which camera has the best features for your needs.

Jul 01, 2020

As a travel photographer, you have a lot to think about, including your gear and how you'll carry your gear comfortably from one location to the next. Check out these tips to learn how to make the most of your travels.

Jul 01, 2020