beginner camera recommendations

4 years 6 months ago #671199 by dimtick
i'm looking for some recommendations.  
I live in Cleveland.  For new years eve we had the idea to drive around and take 20 selfies at all the big landmarks.  all we used was a phone and a selfie stick.  It was a fun night but i was disappointed with the photo's and vowed that i would get a camera, tripod and a clue so that next year we would have much better results.

I'm looking for a camera that takes good low light wide angle portrait shots.   i don't want anything that's bulky or difficult to use.  this is just for family use so nothing crazy but at the same time i recognize that you get what you pay for.  my thought is that anything that can handle this specific situation will probably be able to handle all our other needs.

Attachments:
4 years 6 months ago #671234 by garyrhook
A "better" camera isn't going to help with challenging situations like that. You're extremely back-lit (in your example), and without artificial fill light, you're not going to light up your faces. The camera you use is fundamentally irrelevant.

I'm not sure what I would recommend.... A modest, used DSLR (Nikon D3300, e.g.) and a speedlight would probably be the place to start.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #671300 by dimtick
Thanks for the reply.
yeah, i'm leaning towards a dslr. from the online research that i've done i was thinking of a sony A6000. i like that it's compact and there seems to be a lot of lens options. it has a built in flash but i don't know if it would be good for low light shots.
any thoughts would be appreciated.

4 years 6 months ago #672695 by amatula
Do you live near a photo store?
Generally, you can demo in store and you can ask if you can shoot outside; go during early evening when the sun is setting and demo. Check how it feels in your hands (ease of handling and using the camera), how you like the photos, (can ask perhaps if they will load the photos to a USB drive so you can review them too at home -- a store did that for me).

The reason I say that is, I can rave on the ease of holding and using the Canon Rebel SL1 (which I own) and lament that big full-frame cameras feel **big** and very heavy in my hands, but I am petite; so this would not necessarily apply to someone else. We all have personal preferences in that regard, so it is hard to recommend a specific camera.

And the salesman/saleswoman should be able to offer suggestions too.
Personally I would recommend getting a camera with a pop-up flash (which would have been helpful for the photo you took).

You would also want to check on self-timer functionality of the camera (if you want to be in the photos and no one is around to take the photo). Check how that works.

Just some thoughts that came to mind.
Happy looking!

Annie.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024