Please help - which hybrid camera should I buy? Around £2000

3 months 2 weeks ago #680367 by Otter_and_Quokka
Hello Community :)
I've been doing some research for a while now, looking for a new camera that fits my needs. I recently got into producing videos – it's something I always wanted to do but for some reason, it took me until last year to get serious about it. On the other hand, photography has been a dear hobby of mine for many years now with the Olympus OM-D E-M10 as my faithful companion. It takes brilliant photos for sure for a relatively inexpensive camera but now that I've really gotten into making short-films and would love to explore it in greater depth, I'm in need of a camera that can do both really well, photo and video. I'd be willing to go up to £2000 for the right match.

So far I found the following cameras to come close to what I'm looking for:
Panasonic GH5 – brilliant video footage; after looking a bit more into 10-bit vs. 8-bit, I'm certain that I want to go for the 10-bit version and if possible 4-2-2 chroma subsampling as I'm a sucker for shiny colours, I love to shoot sunsets/sunrises and I'm also looking to get deeper into VFX, using green sceens etc. However, the quality of the stills seems quite underwhelming to me. From all that I've seen so far, still images come out either about as good or even a little bit worse than the ones my Olympus takes (especially when capturing JPGs which is my preferred mode, I rarely take RAW photos). If it wasn't for this bummer, I'd definitely go for the Panasonic.
Sony a7 III – after working my way through reviews & sample video and photo material, I was almost ready to go for this one but then discovered that it only does 8-bit 4-2-0 internally which, of course, is not uncommon for cameras in this price class but I'd really love to have the option to shoot in 10-bit and if possible 4-2-2 (see above) without an external recorder.
Fujifilm X-T4 – this one is going to be released at the end of April I believe (hopefully! Who knows with the Corona-crisis going on) but what I found so far seems quite promising. It does 10-bit which is great, unfortunately only 4-2-0 instead of 4-2-2… oh and it has this super handy flip-around rear screen as a little extra :lol:  Not too sure about this one mainly because it hasn't been released yet. 

What are your thoughts on the above? Have I been overlooking a camera that fits the bill? Should I invest in an external recorder if I want the higher quality footage (pricey… plus I imagine it a bit awkward to have it attached all the time). I've been looking into mirrorless cameras mostly because I've been shooting with one for 4 years now but I'd be open for DSLR suggestions too!

Thanks for any input, very much appreciated!! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 2 weeks ago #680921 by Shadowfixer1
Since you are already invested in m43 gear, I would go with the Panasonic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Otter_and_Quokka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this 2020 star tracker buying guide, learn about the specs and features of some of the best star trackers currently on the market.

Jul 14, 2020

A central part of your photo editing gear should be your monitor. But what is the best monitor for editing photos? Find out my pick!

Jul 13, 2020

The Canon EOS 1DX might be nearly 10 years old, but it still packs a punch for professional photographers in need of a high-quality second camera.

Jul 13, 2020

Travel photography gear comes in all shapes and sizes, but what are the best items to pick up? Check this list for our top picks!

Jul 10, 2020

A camera belt is the ideal camera strap alternative because it puts the weight of your gear on your hips. It's a more comfortable way to carry your camera gear!

Jul 10, 2020

The best camera bags of 2020 include big backpacks, small sling bags, and many variations in between. Which of these top camera bags is for you? Find out!

Jul 09, 2020

The best stock photo sites pay well for your images, are easy to sign up, and offer tools and solutions to help you streamline your stock photography business. These sites are among the best.

Jul 09, 2020

If you're looking for unique canvas prints, look no further than metallic canvas! These prints are beautiful, iridescent, and have superior, eye-catching color.

Jul 09, 2020