Advice on mirrorless camera purchase

3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #721286 by Philby
Hello all

New to the forum, so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section.

I do not know much about photography myself, but I am looking for a mirrorless camera to buy as a gift for my girlfriend. She is an amateur photographer who is kind of not practicing her hobby at the moment due to us moving to a different country and other personal circumstances. She has a Canon 450D and various lenses (including an EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L4 USM). I am hoping that getting a mirrorless camera might rekindle her love of photography.

My budget is around 400-500 Euros. I have seen the Canon M200 and the Sony A6000 (used) which I can get for that price. From what I have been reading, it seems to me that the Sony is the better of the two, but the Canon would allow her to use her existing lenses instead of having to buy new ones.

So my questions are:

1.  Am I right in thinking that the lenses for the Canon 450D will also fit the Canon M200 but not the Sony A6000?

2.  If so, would you say that the Canon M200 with her current lenses is a better overall option than the Sony, which will come with only one (and I imagine rather basic) lens?

3.  Are there any other cameras at this price point that you would recommend over these two?

Any opinions would be welcome.

3 years 1 week ago #721314 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

Firstly - WELCOME to the PT forum ... there are many here with lots of knowledge and experience

Okay - you wish to live dangerously !! and offer your beloved a new camera. An excellent idea but, to my mind, potentially fraught with danger as for most photographers, their choice of equipment is very personal and specific to their style of photography

I would suggest that you -not- make a surprise gift of a new camera ... but locate some brochures / find some internet reference sites and be open with her as to your intentions. At best she will agree with you ~ at worst she will suggest a sewing machine so as to make some new curtains for the apartment :p

Whichever way it goes, your relationship should continue 'safely' I hope

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 1 week ago #721327 by Philby
Hi Phil

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying. Because it is a "significant" birthday, I thought I would push the boat out. So if the purchase of a camera can be considered dangerous, then I do like to live dangerously. I guess if the roles were reversed and she were to buy me a new guitar, I would appreciate the intention even if she ended up choosing something I would never had bought myself.

Having said that, and although the sewing machine scenario is rather unlikely, there is a chance that she might have something else in mind as an ideal present. But asking her will spoil the surprise. At the end of the day, stores have return policies...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ozzie_Traveller

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024