Advice on mirrorless camera purchase

2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #721286 by Philby
Hello all

New to the forum, so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section.

I do not know much about photography myself, but I am looking for a mirrorless camera to buy as a gift for my girlfriend. She is an amateur photographer who is kind of not practicing her hobby at the moment due to us moving to a different country and other personal circumstances. She has a Canon 450D and various lenses (including an EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L4 USM). I am hoping that getting a mirrorless camera might rekindle her love of photography.

My budget is around 400-500 Euros. I have seen the Canon M200 and the Sony A6000 (used) which I can get for that price. From what I have been reading, it seems to me that the Sony is the better of the two, but the Canon would allow her to use her existing lenses instead of having to buy new ones.

So my questions are:

1.  Am I right in thinking that the lenses for the Canon 450D will also fit the Canon M200 but not the Sony A6000?

2.  If so, would you say that the Canon M200 with her current lenses is a better overall option than the Sony, which will come with only one (and I imagine rather basic) lens?

3.  Are there any other cameras at this price point that you would recommend over these two?

Any opinions would be welcome.

2 years 7 months ago #721314 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

Firstly - WELCOME to the PT forum ... there are many here with lots of knowledge and experience

Okay - you wish to live dangerously !! and offer your beloved a new camera. An excellent idea but, to my mind, potentially fraught with danger as for most photographers, their choice of equipment is very personal and specific to their style of photography

I would suggest that you -not- make a surprise gift of a new camera ... but locate some brochures / find some internet reference sites and be open with her as to your intentions. At best she will agree with you ~ at worst she will suggest a sewing machine so as to make some new curtains for the apartment :p

Whichever way it goes, your relationship should continue 'safely' I hope

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 7 months ago #721327 by Philby
Hi Phil

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying. Because it is a "significant" birthday, I thought I would push the boat out. So if the purchase of a camera can be considered dangerous, then I do like to live dangerously. I guess if the roles were reversed and she were to buy me a new guitar, I would appreciate the intention even if she ended up choosing something I would never had bought myself.

Having said that, and although the sewing machine scenario is rather unlikely, there is a chance that she might have something else in mind as an ideal present. But asking her will spoil the surprise. At the end of the day, stores have return policies...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ozzie_Traveller

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Zf is a retro-inspired full frame camera that offers modern technologies like a back-illuminated sensor and 4K/60p video capabilities. Is it worth the price, though? Let’s find out!

Feb 16, 2024

The Ricoh GR IIIx is a premium compact camera with capable photo and video specs and a size that makes it easy to carry. Is it the right option for you? Let’s find out!

Jan 24, 2024

The Sony a6700 is a compact, lightweight photographic powerhouse that offers top-shelf features and amenities at a good price. There’s more to the story, though; check it out in this review!

Jan 23, 2024

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro is an affordable cinema camera with a 21.2MP Super35 CMOS sensor and a host of features that make videography a simpler task.

Dec 26, 2023

Latest Articles

With these photography business tips for retaining clients, you’ll learn a few tricks of the trade for keeping clients for the long term, which will help you grow your business that much more.

Feb 27, 2024

While the Sony a6000 platform debuted a decade ago, it’s still a more than capable camera system for today’s needs. Check out its many benefits in this guide!

Feb 27, 2024

Though you might think of photo gifts as ideal for the holidays, they are a great option for so many events over the course of the year. Check out some of our favorite possibilities!

Feb 27, 2024

Black and white portrait photography can be a fun endeavor, but there are a few things you can do to make the results you get even better! Use this guide to get started on your journey!

Feb 23, 2024

The Canon RF 100mm macro lens is a great addition to your camera bag for a number of reasons, not the least of which is its excellent L-series build quality and reliability!

Feb 21, 2024

Minimalism photography is much more than composing a simple shot. You need to understand rules of composition, have the necessary gear, and practice a lot, too!

Feb 20, 2024

A photography exhibition requires a lot of planning, including making decisions about the images you use, their sizes, and how to display them. Get guidance on these and other decisions in this guide!

Feb 19, 2024

The Nikon Zf is a retro-inspired full frame camera that offers modern technologies like a back-illuminated sensor and 4K/60p video capabilities. Is it worth the price, though? Let’s find out!

Feb 16, 2024