professional cleaning the camera?

13 years 1 month ago #38525 by Ham1st
when should I have it thoroughly and professionally cleaned? I have had it a year and switch lenses very often. After about a year I think it should be about time for a good cleaning, but then again what do I know anyways?

13 years 1 month ago #38526 by Camp 89
as long as everything is working correctly, keep shooting. When something goes wrong, have the camera repaired and serviced. Get an estimate first so you can decide on whether to repair or ebay the camera.

13 years 1 month ago #38527 by Ham1st
That was an easy and quick answer. I guess I shouldn't worry so much.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #38694 by Joves
The sensor is the part that needs to be cleaned the most often. To see how dirty it is set the camera to manual focus on the body and lens, then set your lens to f-22 or your highest. Point it towards the blue sky and snap a photo. Then review the image on the computer and you will either see dirt/dust or not. In my example here you will see the dirt as the black spots. Click the pic to see better if you cant see it.

To clean it off I just air blew it off with my Giotto Rocket. If you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself then take it to a shop. Also the dust/dirt wont show up on photos shot at f/10 or larger apertures. It does but isnt really noticable. Also I will stress this NEVER! use canned air to blow off a sensor filter, it will make it dirtier.

13 years 3 weeks ago #42595 by effron

Joves wrote: The sensor is the part that needs to be cleaned the most often. To see how dirty it is set the camera to manual focus on the body and lens, then set your lens to f-22 or your highest. Point it towards the blue sky and snap a photo. Then review the image on the computer and you will either see dirt/dust or not. In my example here you will see the dirt as the black spots. Click the pic to see better if you cant see it.

To clean it off I just air blew it off with my Giotto Rocket. If you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself then take it to a shop. Also the dust/dirt wont show up on photos shot at f/10 or larger apertures. It does but isnt really noticable. Also I will stress this NEVER! use canned air to blow off a sensor filter, it will make it dirtier.

Black spots!!?? I thought they were day stars.....B)
I just sent mt D700 to Nikon for cla, there were a couple spots that turned to divits. I also self clean, and when I encounter a problem or issue I don't feel comfortable with, I send it in. My camera sensor was at the point it had me considering a scouring pan to clean it......:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #44268 by effron
Update, I just got my camera back, in one week. Sensor cleaned to like new condition, body cleaned, and firmware updated, forty bucks.........:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024