Buying refurbished cameras

13 years 3 weeks ago #43323 by Areese482
What is the down side of buying a refurbished camera?

13 years 3 weeks ago #43324 by crystal
The worse....it won't work in about a month.
13 years 3 weeks ago #43330 by Areese482
Well yes, but any other down side?

13 years 3 weeks ago #43331 by chasrich
Refurbished cameras can offer you the chance to buy a camera that otherwise might be beyond your budget. I purchased a number of refurb Olympus cameras and had the phenomenal luck to experience no disappointments. What I did find was a predominance of new cameras that had zero signs of wear. Your mileage may vary...

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 3 weeks ago #43332 by arkady001
Depends on what 'refurbishment' was done. In most cases these are either factory 'seconds' brought up to spec, or shop display models that have been sent back to an approved dealer for cleaning and service.
If the price is good and you know the provenance then it can be a good deal.

You won't get a full guarantee, but that's the risk you take.

I picked up a refurb'd D3 for £1,000 that had a geuine '0' shutter actuations. The box was a bit crumpled and the sub-command dial was non-functioning due to mis-assembly, which cost me £80 to get fixed by Nikon UK.
£1,100 inc postage for a D3 that's effectively brand-new and still going strong. Can't be bad.

13 years 3 weeks ago #43965 by KCook
I just got a Canon refurb from Canon Direct. It came in a white box, not the usual graphics. Packing was underwhelming, if I'd know that I would not have picked ground ship. Camera and lens are unblemished, but obviously have been used. Works fine, no repairs needed yet. I'm cheap, so this deal worked for me.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

13 years 2 weeks ago #47123 by Joves
Essentially Refurbs are defective ones that were repaired and gone through. The down side is they only come with 90day warranties but, there is a company out there that will extend that for you to a year. I buy new myself but, if your budget is tight then it can be an option for you. For me I buy new because I get the Nikon extended warranty for my gear so my body has 3 years over the one.

13 years 2 weeks ago #47153 by Cre8tivefix
I actually buy dead/ broken cameras and repair them. I couldn't fork out the money for a working one, so this is how I got my foot in the door. I'm slowly working my way up to the one I want. I would love a shiny new one some day (with a warranty), but I'm happy this way. If buying a refurbished one allows you to get a decent camera at a price in your budget, then I say it's worth it. You can put assign the money saved for repairs down the road should you need them. But if it's a decent camera you shouldn't have to worry about that any more than someone buying new.

I would go with the semi professional, to professional grade bodies though. The entry level bodies aren't made the same way (with separate replaceable components) so you may be more likely to have secondary issues down the road depending on what originally was wrong. But, I've only worked on a few models, so I can't say that is true for all models.

12 years 11 months ago #54603 by Cappy
You can get some really good deals on refurbish cameras, just make sure you read all the fine print.

12 years 11 months ago #54634 by Screamin Scott
I've yet to buy a refurb cmaera...I have bought refurbed lenses & they are still functioning as expected...I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb camera though as the EOM gives them a good going over...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #54759 by robbie
Got a 'like new' d200 from KEH.Com for $599,after converting my $1450 D200 bought new I want a camera to shoot birds.Have all the battteries that i needed plus the reputation is of the highest.
I would buy from them again plus you can get a warranty from them for 1 year.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024