Time to upgrade

13 years 4 days ago #46875 by pauluvsmall
I'm currently using a Sony point and shoot. I love the camera. I was thinking of going with Sony DSLR...should I? Are they worth the money? Or should I buy a Nikon or Canon?

13 years 4 days ago #46887 by Zardoz
I was talking to a guy yesterday and he said he was a FORD guy only because of parts, he said it is easier to get Ford parts. I think that brand is not important, if you spend the money you can get a capable camera from most any brand. Yet I think you have to also think about the parts, What brands will have what you need as your grow in you craft. You can do with 2 or three lenses for pretty much everything you do, but if you get a hankering for say macro photography, will a Nakamichi have a macro lens? The megapixil race is over, all non entry level cameras have plenty of that, it is the sensor improvements that have people looking for a new camera. Buying a "entry level" camera will get you in the game, but eventually you will also say I like the camera, but I want more out of it. So I would consider a metal body and a good sensor, if you can not afford it now, like you said you love your camera now, keep using it till you can get the camera of your future,

P.S. I know Nakamichi does not make cameras :)

13 years 4 days ago #46943 by KCook
Err, metal bodies are rare for entry level DSLR models, regardless of brand.

I started out with a Sony DSLR. Very nice price, camera works fine, lens is Ok, with a little care I can get useful images with it. No regrets, especially considering what I paid for it.

Just upgraded to a fancier Canon. Cost a great deal more, camera works wonderfully, lens is a slight improvement, still scoping out all the advanced settings on the beast. No regrets, I'm more comfortable with Canon's designs than the others. Likely ZERO difference in potential image quality however, and I'd say that is important to keep in mind when reading (other) forums packed with BrandX fanboys. Main differences, which is an exercise in splitting hairs, are how easy BrandX makes achieving that potential, vs BrandY.

Sony designs vary quite a bit from model to model, so broad generalizations are more risky with Sony. At least they all use the same lenses (except the new NEX series). A290/390 may be priced lower than Canikon, which can be tempting if you're uber thrifty. The new SLT-series are a landmark departure from traditional DSLR design, giving them unique characteristics and performance. May or may not suit your particular needs. The A560/580 are nice cameras, but priced the same as Canikon. Thus left in an underdog position.

Do any of your friends already have a Sony DSLR?

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

13 years 3 days ago #47116 by Joves
Well Im a Nikonian so I would say Nikon D7000 and up. Their entry level the 3000/5000 series require AF-S lenses for full functionality. You can manually focus the older lenses on those bodies. With the D7000 you can use the older AF lenses. With the Canons you will have to use the EF lenses on entry level and those will not work on the upper end from my understanding. The reason Im use Nikon is the fact Ican use almost every lens they made because they are all F-Mounts.

12 years 7 months ago #133694 by Borrowlenses
What do your friends shoot with? Whatever it is, go with that so you can borrow their lenses :)

Online Camera Gear Rental - www.BorrowLenses.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024