JPGs opening in ACR

12 years 5 months ago #178129 by rmeyer7
Yesterday I went to open a .jpg file in Photoshop, and as soon as PS opened the photo popped up in the ACR window. Not really a big deal, but pretty weird since I never changed any settings and never saw this happen with a .jpg before. Any idea why something like that might happen?

12 years 5 months ago #178144 by Fevel
Are you sure it was a jpeg and not a raw file you open? I know sometimes depending on what I am shooting, I may shoot raw+ jpeg. When I go to open a photo, I meant to open the jpeg and it ended up I open the raw instead.

12 years 5 months ago #178156 by Alan
There is a way to set Photoshop up to open jpegs in ACR automatically, but this is the first I've heard where Photoshop takes it upon itself to do it without some special tweaking. I'll do some snooping and see what I can find out.

Get a FREE DOWNLOAD from Photobacks now at:
www.facebook.com/photobacks
See our complete line at:
www.photobacks.com

12 years 5 months ago #178159 by gwlaw99
You probably used "open as" instead of "open". If the default for "open as" was raw then it opens in ACR.

12 years 5 months ago #178189 by effron
In your preferences, probably in bridge, you have it set to open those jpegs in ACR, you just need to find it and uncheck.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #178195 by rmeyer7
I appreciate all the responses, but it looks like I should have been a little more specific :)

@Fevel, no it was definitely a .jpg. It was a friend's snapshot that I was going to do a little editing on as a favor. That's why I found it so odd -- because I know the picture wasn't even shot in RAW to begin with!

@gwlaw99, that would have at least made sense...but unfortunately that wasn't the case either. In fact I opened it a few different ways and each time it did the same thing. (Opened from the folder on my hard drive by right-clicking and choosing "Open with Adobe Photoshop", which I do often with .jpgs; also clicked and dragged the file into an open PS window which I normally do from time to time as well.)

@effron and Alan, I'm sure that's exactly the issue; the problem is I never selected that setting in my preferences -- in fact I haven't changed anything in preferences in over a month -- so I'm just wondering how on earth the preferences were changed.

So to be specific here's what I know:
  • I know it's not a RAW file
  • I know I opened the same way I always do
  • I know something in Preferences got changed
  • I know it's easy to change Preferences back to the way they were before

The only thing that's a mystery is that I didn't change anything and all of a sudden PS is acting funny. It's always so stable and dependable for me that I was caught off guard by this, and wondered if anyone knew of PS randomly "spazzing out" like this!

12 years 5 months ago #179001 by Alan
Mine did act a bit quirky when I shifted from my old computer to a new PC with Windows 7. The issue for me was cursor changes, and it still alters the settings on occasion

Get a FREE DOWNLOAD from Photobacks now at:
www.facebook.com/photobacks
See our complete line at:
www.photobacks.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024