first time client is printing

12 years 5 months ago #178538 by kearaS852
I recently did shots for a musician where he will use the shots solely for printing flyers and posters. He's going to be printing the shots from his printer. I am finishing up the pictures now is there anything i need to look out for in terms of formats and options to better suit his printing experience?

12 years 5 months ago #178540 by 56SN0
Anybody who has a printer should know how to use it. Your job is to deliver finished (edited) RGB files in whatever format the printer operator prefers. (jpeg, tiff etc..)

12 years 5 months ago #178613 by effron

56SN0 wrote: Anybody who has a printer should know how to use it. Your job is to deliver finished (edited) RGB files in whatever format the printer operator prefers. (jpeg, tiff etc..)

I will agree with this.........:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #178621 by Henry Peach
I'll bet he doesn't have a clue about printing and probably has a cheap printer. Whether this becomes a problem for you depends on his expectations. For flyers it may not be a big deal.

When I deliver files I either follow the client's requested format, color space, etc... or I set them up for printing at a professional lab.
12 years 5 months ago #178622 by kearaS852

Henry Peach wrote: I'll bet he doesn't have a clue about printing and probably has a cheap printer. Whether this becomes a problem for you depends on his expectations. For flyers it may not be a big deal.

When I deliver files I either follow the client's requested format, color space, etc... or I set them up for printing at a professional lab.

Wow, that's a little harsh, thinking someone has no clue how to print or has a cheap printer. He only ask for the photos to be in high res jpeg format. I was just wondering if there is something different I am suppose to do. As far as I know, no one has ever printed my photos. So I just want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as it can.

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #178626 by Henry Peach

kearaS852 wrote: Wow, that's a little harsh, thinking someone has no clue how to print or has a cheap printer.

Sorry, but that's been my experience. People think ink jet printing is easy, but in 20 years of studying photography it's one of the hardest aspects I've ever encountered. You would find very few professional photographers that would be comfortable with clients doing their own ink jet printing. I deliver files to my clients, but recommend they take them to a professional lab for printing. Like I said, it can depend on your expectations. What I may find unsuitable quality may suit your client just fine.

By cheap printer I mean one that is not really considered photo quality. They start around $500 to $600 for the small ones. Most folks have the printer that their computer seller included for free.

Sorry to make inferences, but I give advice based on the information I'm given. You didn't mention that he has any photography or printing experience, so I just assume he doesn't.
12 years 5 months ago #178628 by Henry Peach

kearaS852 wrote: He only ask for the photos to be in high res jpeg format. I was just wondering if there is something different I am suppose to do.

What file format does he want? What color space does he want? What bit depth does he want? If he can't answer these questions then he's winging it.
12 years 5 months ago #178636 by kearaS852
I don't think he has photography experience since I took his photos. I have no idea about his printing experience. And I don't know the answers to the other questions you ask. Should I ask him those questions? so I know what to do with the photos before I give them to him? I'm sure he'll just pop the CD in and print right to his printer. Which is why I want to make sure the photos print out how they should print.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024