Using Godaddy to host photography site?

11 years 8 months ago #245546 by Kid Prodigy
Anyone use Godaddy for hosting your website? They are offering me a discount if I prepay for a year and a larger discount if I prepay for two years. Before I go prepaying for anything, I really want to make sure this is a good company to work with.

Let me know please. Thank you.

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245555 by Alex
I've used them for a number of sites in the past and got tired of the down time and moved elsewhere. I have sites hosted at Rackspace and HostGator currently. Very happy with both. Rackspace you'll drop $$$$ for your server, but their service is awesome. HostGator is $$ and the managed support isn't all that, but isn't bad (it's just not the same level as Rackspace).

Godaddy is a PITA to get someone on the phone, you have like 14 hours of auto-attendant you have to pass through before getting a live body on the phone. Hostgator is OK, Rackspace is rightaway live person.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #245568 by KCook
All domain registrars and hosting outfits have a discount rate for multi-year accounts. Domain registration is so low cost that I would not make that a big deal. Hosting costs CAN run up, depending on what level of service you think you need.

I keep my domain registrations at GoDaddy, hosting elsewhere. I agree with Alex that their hosting is lack luster. Links to more thoughts -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/freelance-...-anyone-use-go-daddy

www.photographytalk.com/forum/freelance-...godaddy-alternatives

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #245590 by garyrhook
Another vote against GoDaddy. Used them for several years, too often they were down, mail to me bounced, etc. Oh, and their site management system was all about up-selling, making it challenging to find what you needed.

Very annoying. I'd look elsewhere.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245881 by Flash Steven

Alex wrote: I've used them for a number of sites in the past and got tired of the down time and moved elsewhere. I have sites hosted at Rackspace and HostGator currently. Very happy with both. Rackspace you'll drop $$$$ for your server, but their service is awesome. HostGator is $$ and the managed support isn't all that, but isn't bad (it's just not the same level as Rackspace).

Godaddy is a PITA to get someone on the phone, you have like 14 hours of auto-attendant you have to pass through before getting a live body on the phone. Hostgator is OK, Rackspace is rightaway live person.

:thumbsup:

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245952 by Todd Knight
Don't most require a contract of some sort?

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245957 by Stealthy Ninja
Personally:
Godaddy for domain registration.
Smugmug for photo site hosting.

Smugmug (and Zenfolio) can be linked to your domain.
11 years 8 months ago #245999 by KCook

Todd Knight wrote: Don't most require a contract of some sort?

Of course! For domain registration I don't think contract fine print is much of an issue. Once folks have settled in with a registrar, they are likely to simply stick with them. Hosting can be a whole other kettle of fish. Fine print on charges and fees for early cancellation of a hosting plan can be a beartrap. And folks can get fed up with HostX, yearn to switch away from a bad experience.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 8 months ago #246046 by Jim Photo
Photoshelter is another one

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #247229 by Flash Steven
I just hired a over seas company to make my new website, how large of disk space are you guys using for your photo sites? I'm looking at hosting options and trying to figure how much hard drive space I'll need.

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #247260 by KCook
Disk space is rarely an issue, unless you are storing RAW online. A much greater concern is access rate. The bargain hosts are slow, and the more you use them, the slower they get! There are hosting review sites that try to test these rates, take a look at those reviews.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024