Organizing your Lightroom catalog?

5 years 4 months ago #618642 by Randall McNabb
How are you keeping your Lightroom catalogs organized and where you can actually find things?  

Mine look like this: 

Dates only and PITA to find anything!

Help please

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 4 months ago #618661 by garyrhook
It took me three tries to arrive at (briefly)

Personal/Work/Other meta categories
>> Year / Sorta-meta Categories
    >> Date / Other Identifiers

And there are other subdivisions that make sense to me.

You have to figure out how you think/organize, and follow that same paradigm. That's the only way you'll be able to relate to how you've managed your photos in LR.

That said: Use keywords if you can't remember where you put things. It will help you, even if it takes effort to enter them.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 4 months ago #618729 by EOS Man
:agree:   good post 

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #619099 by Hoss
Don't ask, mine is a MESS!

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #619264 by Brandon F

Hoss wrote: Don't ask, mine is a MESS!

Guilty as charged!  

Same here.  

I was just reading about that Excire software and how that is supposed to help find photos when you don't catalog your photos in a organized way. 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624244 by Stefan-Olsson

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 3 months ago #624253 by shelland
I know many probably wouldn't like my organization, but it works for me and I've never seen a reason to change. Note that I am not a professional, so I don't need to worry about clients, events, etc. But I do shoot a lot of local HS sports, so end up with a large quantity. 

I simply organize by month and year: 

01-2018
  02-2018
  03-2018
  01-2017
  02-2017
  03-2017

etc

I shoot RAW and then export everything after editing to JPG. So I have a RAW directory to keep RAW and JPG separate. So I actually have the following structure, where I keep the RAW files and export the JPGs to the other set of month folders. That way I don't have RAW and JPG side by side in the same directories. 

01-2018
  02-2018
  03-2018
  RAW
    01-2018
    02-2018

As mentioned by Gary, I do a lot of keywording to help is searching. In many cases, I'll have multiple keywords, such as: 

Central Sports (the name of our school)
Varsity Boys / Varsity Girls / JV / etc
Basketball / Baseball / Football

Or for personal stuff, things like: 
Family member names
Christmas
Birthday
Presents
etc

Create and organize using keywords that you may want to use to find pictures down the road. And those keywords don't matter in terms of your physical organization. 

I know my method isn't for everyone - and maybe even no one but me. :)  Use ideas you get to come up with something that works for you and you can reproduce consistently. 

There was another post in the last month or two with a similar question that has feedback. 

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

5 years 3 months ago #624746 by Juan Anthony

Stefan-Olsson wrote:

Is this under one date range?  If not, that is nearly A-Z and that would show you have less than 5000 photos (guessing)?  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #624758 by Stefan-Olsson
that is all from 2018.......I delete everything that im not happy with or stuff I dont plan to work with at some point. Dates mean nothing to me. The names brings back the memories for me.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 3 months ago #624854 by shelland

Stefan-Olsson wrote: that is all from 2018.......I delete everything that im not happy with or stuff I dont plan to work with at some point. Dates mean nothing to me. The names brings back the memories for me.

And to me, the "what" is a categorization to keyword and find via filters and not a basis of organization. Just shows that everyone has different thought processes about even something like this. Obviously many of us use very different processes. No right or wrong, just whatever works for you. :) 

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

5 years 3 months ago #624870 by NewavaMike
I organize photos by date also.  Since most of my shots represent an emotional spark of some type, I tend to remember them by how old they are to my memory banks. I still give them names which helps sort out which file they might be in.  Things like "beer" or "baseball" and each photo with that name comes up for me to narrow it down. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024