Enable Profile Corrections lower right side in Lightroom?

5 years 1 month ago #634476 by Bill Rosen
Can you help me understand this feature.   Is this something you would always want on?  If there are defects in a photo as the result of a lens used, why not Lightroom load automatically with the corrections then?  I have played with this button and toggled it on and off and it 'un-rounds' the image.  Kind of the best I can explain what I see happening.  

Perhaps someone knows what this is all about and can chime in please.  

Thank you.

Bill 

Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #634483 by garyrhook
Yes, you always want that on. It allows the profile information to compensate for barrel distortion, vignetting, etc. Look at a photo with straight lines near the edge and a long-ish focal length and you can see what happens. You'll also be able to discern how the light in the corners is managed.

Both of those options should be on. I've not run across a case where I wouldn't use them, except for a lens that has no definition in their database (e.g. LensBaby Velvet 85).

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634492 by Bill Rosen
Hey thanks for the answer Gary.  Keeping that in mind, why not have something like this as a default, something that loads automatically when an image is brought into Lightroom?  Unless I'm missing something, seems like  something you'll want on.  

5 years 1 month ago #634688 by garyrhook
I have no clue. I don't know why anyone would not want that enabled. Perhaps someone will have some insight?

As for automatic, one can create a preset in LR to be automatically applied on import. It could include that setting.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635614 by Bill Rosen

garyrhook wrote: I have no clue. I don't know why anyone would not want that enabled. Perhaps someone will have some insight?

As for automatic, one can create a preset in LR to be automatically applied on import. It could include that setting.

Thanks again.  Good tip on the preset.   That will speed things up in post too.  

Cheers!  

Bill 

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #635845 by Shadowfixer1
Not all lenses require this. The corrections are already baked into the file on Olympus and I think Panasonic cameras. This option is greyed out. That info means nothing to you but just trying to inform some who may need it.
5 years 1 month ago #635919 by Tim Dordeck

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Not all lenses require this. The corrections are already baked into the file on Olympus and I think Panasonic cameras. This option is greyed out. That info means nothing to you but just trying to inform some who may need it.

+1 agree.  I always toggle it on and off, if improvements, it stays, otherwise I ditch it.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024