Camera Mechanic from Lightroom

4 years 11 months ago #643540 by ThatNikonGuy
I asked this question years ago, and thinking about this again.  Have any of you moved from Lightroom to Camera Mechanic?  

I wonder why Gimp didn't come out with a Lightroom competitor?  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643559 by garyrhook

ThatNikonGuy wrote: I asked this question years ago, and thinking about this again.  Have any of you moved from Lightroom to Camera Mechanic?  

I wonder why Gimp didn't come out with a Lightroom competitor?  

Gimp doesn't come out with anything; it's an open source project with a maintainer and contributors. It's not like it's a company, much less a "product".

There's also a project called DarkTable. Not the same, not really compatible with LR. It has a long way to go, but it already has some strong points.

I have no clue what "Camera Mechanic" is, but there's a Photo Mechanic, and it's been discussed here on PT before. It excels at culling, for one thing, and has plenty of fans.

No, I've not changed from LR.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643720 by Ryan711
Camera Mechanic?  :rofl:  you mean Photo Mechanic?  

I looked at Photo Mechanic some time ago, didn't find enough of what would make me want to jump.  Cool program though.  I want to see I just saw an email on a new version not too long ago.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643762 by Ira Weber
I've used both, and both are great with strengths and weaknesses.   I prefer Lightroom at the end of the day.  Just personal preference.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643895 by Fess Walker
If you are looking for alternatives to Lightroom, another you can look at is Exposure X4

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024