How to make photos less staged

4 years 9 months ago #649362 by yoz
I am looking to get any advice on how I can make my photos look more natural. 

The top 2 photos are both shot with natural light, which are mine, yet the 2 underneath are also natural light and look completely different, which is what I’d like to achieve. 

Im quite confused as to what I may be doing wrong? 

Attachments:
4 years 9 months ago #649364 by yoz
The ones of the girl next to the palm tree are mine

4 years 9 months ago #649371 by Eric A
What are you using for your lighting?  Also, the bottom one could very well be just fancy post processing.  Something to consider.  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649372 by yoz
Mine is natural light only.

4 years 9 months ago #649374 by Eric A

yoz wrote: Mine is natural light only.

Have you tried using a gold reflector to add some golden tones?  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649375 by yoz
It isn’t reflector based, as the overall lighting is less harsh in the other shots

4 years 9 months ago #649377 by Troponin
This is all natural lighting. The mustard suit model has backlighting on her to prevent the harsh light from hitting her skin and blowing highlights. I use shade and backlighting almost exclusively because most of the shots I deal with are during hours of harsh light. 

Make sure ALL of your subject/model is out of the sun, especially their skin. If your model has any white or black on, it can make the exposures more difficult. Once you have gotten the hang of it, you can start to experiment with "breaking some rules", where sun still hits a bit harshly, but the composition balances it out, again, like the mustard suit.

Backlighting is tricky because you don't want to overexpose the backlight, but you don't want to underexpose the face. 

One trick you can use is to put your model in front or close to a white wall. The white wall will reflect light and help balance out the exposure. 

Finally, check out lighting angles too. Men can actually look good in harsh lighting, as it brings them some hardness and toughness, so long as the exposure and shadows are done right. Women too, but it's just a lot more difficult to pull off and takes even more practice, IMO. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649381 by yoz
Oh thankyou thats very helpful. The girl with the surfboard seems to have some light on her. Mine must be more though.

I haven’t shot a lot just shade, as often the eyes can get lost with being a bit dark. I’ll look out for white reflections :)

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #649398 by Troponin

yoz wrote: Oh thankyou thats very helpful. The girl with the surfboard seems to have some light on her. Mine must be more though.

I haven’t shot a lot just shade, as often the eyes can get lost with being a bit dark. I’ll look out for white reflections :)

You need to make sure your model is facing the open sky. This will light up the eyes and add a catch light, which can add life to eyes that are too dark. This way, they are still in the shade, but you can see the sky in their eyes. 

Here my daughter is sitting in a garage, with the large door open (they were playing with puppies), and I took a quick shot of her while she was sitting, waiting for her turn. Even though she was in the garage, which was surrounded by pecan trees, the open sky just passed them still managed to light her eyes up. If you look closely, you can see a pecan tree reflected in her eyes. I didn't take the time to set this shot up much better because I didn't want her to feel like she was going to miss her turn. xD

www.photographytalk.com/photos/448697

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: yoz
4 years 9 months ago #650376 by Amy Porter
Don't underestimate what can be done in post with RAW files.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650654 by Kenya See
Troponin, your daughter is adorable.  In that shot, is that natural lighting or were you using high speed flash sync?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024