Are you editing your photos on a Mac or PC?

2 years 2 months ago #731535 by Scuba Mike

Chris Briggs wrote: Commodore 64

OMG I actually had one of these back in the day!  

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #731616 by Eric A
LOL just picked up a new Mac today! 

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #731678 by r1ch
PC  If you have the money, the M1 is a pretty fast chip. But pc will give you similar for much less.

2 years 2 months ago #731760 by Peter P
Both, but I do use my MacBook most of the time

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #732196 by Pat White
Mac

2 years 2 months ago #732465 by Uplander
Anyone with a M1 machine?  

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #732489 by r1ch

Uplander wrote: Anyone with a M1 machine?  

I was considering a mac mini, they were on sale with the M1 during Christmas a year ago. But they only came with 8gb of ram and I had seen reviews that would cause problems with video and image editing. Getting 16gb of ram increased the price by $400. I bought a AMD gaming laptop 8core 16thread with discrete Nvidia card that could play top tier games and was faster than the M1 in multiprocessing programs like video and photo editors (slower in single processor apps )and cost $850 similar to the mac mini  but with 16gb of ram and a color accurate 144hz display with user upgradable ram and storage. I was quickly reminded why I never bought apple. There is a huge premium you pay if you can't figure out how to work PC. But they almost tricked me into the mac mini. I am not saying Macs are bad, the contrary they are good but you pay a premium.

2 years 2 months ago #732623 by Mark T
Both 2018 MacBook and I have a Dell laptop that is from 2019 that I got on sale.  

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #732741 by Crammer
PC right now

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #734784 by Overread
Ha, I think there are more Mac users in the creative world.  

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #734796 by Scotty
Mac for me. I do IT for the government for a living and Windows is hilariously unstable.  Just personal preference though.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #734802 by r1ch

Overread wrote: Ha, I think there are more Mac users in the creative world.  

And while there are quite a number of smart people who are creative or content creators, most people who buy Apple/Mac products are people who who are not smart enough to figure out how to use a PC.

Throughout the entire 2021 calendar year, Canalys estimates that Apple shipped 28.9 million Mac models, a year-over-year increase of 28.3%. Apple had an 8.5% market share in 2021, again coming in fourth behind
Lenovo, HP, and Dell.  appleinsider.com/articles/22/01/12/apple...urth-quarter-for-pcs

8.5 percent if you EXCLUDE Chrome books from the equation. 9to5mac.com/2021/07/13/mac-market-share-q2-2021/

With a market share of 8.5 percent in 2021 it is a safe bet that most creative people and most people in general have PC's.

US sales of mac are in the higher, around 13 percent  I wonder if that means we American are not as smart as everyone else? Or just have more money than sense? LOL  www.statista.com/statistics/576473/unite...hipment-share-apple/

2 years 3 weeks ago #735314 by Chipper
Mac for me as well 

2 years 3 weeks ago #735316 by Scotty

r1ch wrote:

Overread wrote: Ha, I think there are more Mac users in the creative world.  

And while there are quite a number of smart people who are creative or content creators, most people who buy Apple/Mac products are people who who are not smart enough to figure out how to use a PC.

Throughout the entire 2021 calendar year, Canalys estimates that Apple shipped 28.9 million Mac models, a year-over-year increase of 28.3%. Apple had an 8.5% market share in 2021, again coming in fourth behind
Lenovo, HP, and Dell.  appleinsider.com/articles/22/01/12/apple...urth-quarter-for-pcs

8.5 percent if you EXCLUDE Chrome books from the equation. 9to5mac.com/2021/07/13/mac-market-share-q2-2021/

With a market share of 8.5 percent in 2021 it is a safe bet that most creative people and most people in general have PC's.

US sales of mac are in the higher, around 13 percent  I wonder if that means we American are not as smart as everyone else? Or just have more money than sense? LOL  www.statista.com/statistics/576473/unite...hipment-share-apple/

I know when I was editing professionally everybody used mac because they were just a lot more stable. Same at university level, same reason. It's totally preference though.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
2 years 3 weeks ago #735321 by r1ch

Chipper wrote: Mac for me as well 

I know people that only use mac as well. I see you are from the US. In the US the market penetration for Mac is 12 percent instead of 8.5 . Apple was smart, they gave their computers to schools and children grew up using them. So even though Macs are way over priced, many people growing up already had experiencing using them. Some say macs just work, but that is not reality, they have similar problems like PC. The problem with PC, is because of their huge dominance in market share, hackers hack Windows, mac market share is so small, hackers cannot effect enough people to make it worth while. So a person with a Mac, who does not backup their computer has much less likely-hood of losing their data than a PC person. You have to back up windows, you have to do windows updates or you are at risk to millions of hackes, mac has so few hackers trying to hack it. So the perception is Mac is more reliable. Another thing, Mac has had 3 major OS reconfiguration. Power PC chip. Intel chip, and now their own M1. You cannot run old power PC programs on the new chips which users had to upgrade every time for the new hardware, also hackers would have to learn 3 operating system. Just not worth it for them, when PC still allows running of old code and you don't have to learn a new recomplied OS. PC, you can run the oldest programs from 8086 days on a PC, very backwards compatible.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024