Photoshop vs tilt shift lens?

1 year 7 months ago #745143 by Fess Walker
Adobe has done a great job adding features to Photoshop over the years.  I'm after specific details about its ability to clone the effects of a tilt shift lens, can this be done and be done on par with the real deal?  

If so, how please?  Thank you in advance for the help!  

Fess

Photo Comments
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #745158 by Razky

Fess Walker wrote: Adobe has done a great job adding features to Photoshop over the years. I'm after specific details about its ability to clone the effects of a tilt shift lens, can this be done and be done on par with the real deal? If so, how please? Thank you in advance for the help! Fess

Focus stacking a static subject can emulate the tilt feature - if any part of the subject is moving, you're better off with a shift lens. Photoshop perspective control usually involves cropping out part of the image, which may or may not be acceptable. Personally, I do not use photoshop - my tilt/shift lens of choice is a Schneider-Kreuznach PC-TS Super-Angulon 2.8 50 HM. I shoot a lot of verticals (cover shots), so the rotating tripod mount is invaluable.

1 year 7 months ago #745159 by Razky
Correction: you're better off with a tilt lens, NOT a shift lens! My apologies.

1 year 7 months ago #745195 by Colorado Mike
A buddy has a 24mm tilt shift lens and it's a work of art.  Expensive lens, but what he can do with that lens is amazing.  I would be surprised if software can come close to the effects from a physical lens.  

Photo Comments
1 year 7 months ago #745207 by db3348
G’day Fess ,

I generally agree with Razky ,    “ you're better off with a shift / tilt lens. "
and Colorado Mike .

Depending on how realistic and exact “ real deal ”  you want results to be .  
Doing them with TS lens & camera  is always going to be quicker and easier  compared to using Photoshop .   And  then  how familiar and proficient are you with Photoshop ?

Before I go into a long-winded explanation of “ how ” to do it,  can  you give us an idea of what particular “ look ” effect you’re trying to achieve ?  Are you trying to correct distortion of a building / object ,  or  are  you trying to get the limited / enhanced depth-of-field look ?  Or a mixed bag of both ?

db3348

Photo Comments
1 year 7 months ago #745490 by No Show
In camera is always preferred if you ask me.  Photoshop will fix things if you forget or mess up.  In case of emergency, break glass. 

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024

Having a solid client management system allows you to build a more sustainable business with a larger number of repeat clients. But how do you do that? Let’s find out!

Jun 05, 2024

Canyon photography is an interesting niche of landscape photography that has some distinct challenges like harsh light and shadows. But with the right preparation, you can capture epic shots!

Jun 04, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The process is actually quite straightforward if you want to print from iPhone. But, if you need a little guidance, this guide is what you need! Dive in and learn how to print smartphone photos!

Jun 04, 2024

The Fuji X-T5 is a mid-range camera ideal for beginners who need a high-powered camera body to professionals looking for a solid second camera - and many uses in between!

Jun 03, 2024

Large format prints are a fantastic way to celebrate your photographic accomplishments. You can see your best work in a beautiful format (and show it off to others, too!).

May 29, 2024