Photoshop default editing: destructive or non-destructive editing?

1 year 3 weeks ago #750796 by Hawkins
I'm a newish user of Photoshop for editing images and just wondering out of the box is Photoshop default editing destructive or is it non-destructive editing?  I tried looking up answer to this and on Google just realized how complex this software is.  I read something about "Smart objects".  Which I'm lost about.  

Any sort of tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  

Photo Comments
1 year 3 weeks ago #750823 by Razky

Hawkins wrote: I'm a newish user of Photoshop for editing images and just wondering out of the box is Photoshop default editing destructive or is it non-destructive editing? I tried looking up answer to this and on Google just realized how complex this software is. I read something about "Smart objects." Which I'm lost about.
Any sort of tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I'm probably not much help here, but it's been my experience that the fewer mistakes one makes before pressing the shutter release button, the less destruction will be incurred afterwards.

1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #750829 by db3348
Hi Hawkins ,

Depends somewhat on whether  image is saved in a .jpg / .jpeg  format or .RAW format .

Generally speaking,  .jpg / .jpeg files  are destructive because when being edited  they  literally change the  original data that was recorded , and in the process of then saving those changes again after editing ,  the original data is lost .

RAW files are non-destructive ,  because when you work (edit) on a  .RAW file ,  the original data itself is not affected ,  but the edit is actually done on a separate "sidecar" file (.xmp) file  which is created by RAW editing program for that purpose .  Once the editing is done ,  those editing changes are logged in the .xmp file for future reference when the image is opened later ,  but the original .RAW file is unscathed and has all it's original ,  camera-captured "glory" .  

As far as "Smart Objects" are concerned, can't help on that one , because I don't normally use them in my editing work .  But I don't believe they are related to the destructive / non-destructive aspect .  Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong .

Photo Comments
1 year 3 weeks ago #750832 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Hawkins

Dave above is correct re- Raw image editing. Also you / we need to remember one or two things about JPG images as well
ps- I shoot JPG for 100% of the time

The JPG algorithm is very smart and looks at a block of 16 x 16 pixels at a time and reduces what it finds to a math result. In doing so it also reduces the computer / physical size of the image as stored on the card / computer. Once the image is viewed on your computer, the math is reversed, and the image is returned "almost" back to its original in-camera condition.

If you choose the 'best' JPG quality, obviously the final image will be recreated as close as possible to the original image, conversely, if you choose the lowest JPG quality it cannot return the image to original because you have not asked for the best quality to be retained

If you repeat editing to the same image, ie:- edit and save, come back later and edit and save, come back later and do more editing, your image -will- fade away in quality. If you do this with Raw images, you are always returning to the original camera image. What is means for JPG users is (like me) that you create the best image you can at the time of the original exposure, and only do a small amount of image editing (in whatever software you have) and ALWAYS choose Save-As to create a second copy of the image, so retaining the original as needed

Shooting in Raw and editing to jpg for viewing / printing automatically creates a second copy of the original image, as RAW images cannot be viewed or printed without using special software (either the camera maker's stuff or something like PS or Corel or Affinity, etc, etc,)

Hope this helps
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024