SmugMug vs Zenfolio?

13 years 1 month ago #34606 by Addicted2Photos
Which is better? I have spoken to both companies and on the fence. If there is someone else you recommend let me know please. Thank you!

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #34608 by crystal
I have never used smugmug, so I can't give you a review.
I am currently using Zenfolio.
So far, I like zen. Been with them for 2yrs. I like the ability to upload full size photos (this is the purpose of selling, not just gallery viewing). Uploading is quick and easy. A simple drag from your pictures photo into zen. SEO friendly. Give titles, description, keywords. They use mpix to print photos. You can offer to sell products. You can have password protected galleries. They handle the printing, shipping. I think their base cost is low, but that is because mpix is.
Clients can order directly from the site and be ship to them.
If you shoot portraits/weddings, you can offer your packages on the site and your client can order that package instead of individual prints.
A simple easy to use design to custom your website layout. This is good for those who don't know anything about web design. Recently they added custom pages, where you can add extra pages and include your own html.
13 years 1 month ago #34790 by Joves
Well I have Smugmug and have been with them pretty much since they started the site. So it has been like 8 or 9 years. It is easy and they have different levels to choose from. They have quite a few templates to work with as well to customize your galleries. You can try them free for a week and if you like it pay for whatever level you like.

13 years 1 month ago #35333 by Jeffster
Smugmug offers websites? Hmmmm I had always thought they were just a gallery site that prints your photos on mugs and tshirts and stuff.

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #35352 by Joves

Jeffster wrote: Smugmug offers websites? Hmmmm I had always thought they were just a gallery site that prints your photos on mugs and tshirts and stuff.

Yes they offer websites or actually domain names through a third party.

13 years 1 month ago #36175 by Cliff

Joves wrote:

Jeffster wrote: Smugmug offers websites? Hmmmm I had always thought they were just a gallery site that prints your photos on mugs and tshirts and stuff.

Yes they offer websites or actually domain names through a third party.

:agree:

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #36556 by Dragonflies
Did you select on yet?

13 years 1 month ago #37107 by Hawkins
How easy are those sites to set up?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37329 by Joves

Hawkins wrote: How easy are those sites to set up?

Smugmug super easy.

13 years 1 month ago #38590 by Happy-pixel
So which is the largest company that offers these sites? Zenfolio or SmugMug :huh:

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #38915 by Joves

Happy-pixel wrote: So which is the largest company that offers these sites? Zenfolio or SmugMug :huh:

I think they are both pretty much the same as far as subscribers. Or actually professional subscibers. Pbase is another one that alot of people use but I believe they have dropped some compared to SM&Zen. Also Zen ANd SM are unlimited storage as where Pbase is by MB tiers.

13 years 1 month ago #39987 by JB

Joves wrote:

Happy-pixel wrote: So which is the largest company that offers these sites? Zenfolio or SmugMug :huh:

I think they are both pretty much the same as far as subscribers. Or actually professional subscibers. Pbase is another one that alot of people use but I believe they have dropped some compared to SM&Zen. Also Zen ANd SM are unlimited storage as where Pbase is by MB tiers.

You would expect Pbase would move to unlimited storage to meet competitive market needs. I'm going to be getting a new site soon and have looked at all of these.

13 years 1 month ago #40009 by Stealthy Ninja
I looked into this a while ago and I prefered Zenfolio.

Except it didn't let me sell print outside the U.S. (this may have changed now) which made it pretty useless to me.
13 years 1 month ago #40313 by crystal

Smugmug came out first. Zenfolio I think recently came out a couple years ago and is being promoted through Mpix...because Zenfolio prints through Mpix.

That is how I found out about Zenfolio. I saw an ad in Outdoor photographer magazine about mpix, went to their site and saw an ad about Zen, check out Zen and been a member for 2yrs.

I knew about Smugmug years ago, but never bother joining. But then again, when I first found out about Smugmug, I was still designing my own site.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024