Topaz Labs HDR Problem

12 years 11 months ago #65467 by The Original Daisy
I'm trying to make a HDR image with Topaz Labs and I keep getting a halo around the subjects in the photo and there is so much noise in the image? Is there a way to tune this down a little?

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #65481 by Henry Peach
Try to eliminate as much noise as possible before going into Topaz Adjust (is that what you are using? ). Try reducing the details and exposure equalization settings until the halos disappear.

Sometimes I take an adjusted photo, and layer it with an unadjusted copy, and mask out the offending areas.
12 years 11 months ago #65643 by angbrey
Unfortunately you will still be limited with correcting that problem but there are a few things to help.
Henry's suggestions are good too.

IMO: the best fix would be using your blending options in your layer styles. It's a quick fix actually.

For example, if you have halo around trees with a blue sky this would be my recommendation: Magnify your image to your viewing preference for the area you wish to reduce halo effect.
RT click on your layer and go to Blending Options. Under Advanced Blending, select BLUE from the drop menu next to "blend if" then drag the "this layer" slider to the right. You should see your background layer bleed through. Move this slider to the right until you start to see areas of the "tone-mapped" sky appear. Things may look a little funky....don't worry...! Now, hold the Alt button down and click on that same slider you just moved. This slider will become two halves. Move the LEFT half of the slider back to the left. You should now notice things looking a little more pleasing to you. You may want to move the right and left half of the slider to get your favorite look. I would suggest that you zoom in to at least 100% to check on your details to get a close look at your edges. You may notice that the sky looks great, but other parts of your image may need a pick me up. This is simple too. Just add a layer mask and paint with black paint using a soft edge brush over the areas you wish to reveal from your tone-mapped layer. If you accidentally paint your sky, simply change the paint back to white to go back over that mistake.

You can also try these tips:

I would go back and adjust the exposures in the original images if needed. Then I would use the burn/dodge tool on your HDR result around the areas giving you problems.

For simple images, you can try cloning around the halo. This will work great for a building against a sky for example. But if you have a tree against a cloudy sky, you can see how this will get complicated. I would then use the blur tool to blend these tough areas.
You can also try reducing the layer's opacity. This will also reduce your HDR effect. You can also try a soft reduced opacity brush to blend the harsh halo area if you don't want to compromise reducing the layer's opacity.

Have you tried using Topaz Detail instead of Topaz Adjust HDR? If you haven't tried Detail, I'd play with that on a rainy day and see if you get anything you like.

Hope this helps you!

It would help if we could see the image you're working on.

~ Angela ~

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024