Color difference?

12 years 10 months ago #78281 by Puter
Im trying to figure out why when I import a photo into Lightroom 2 the colors or maybe WB are off??

I shoot in RAW and i just noticed the color setting was sRGB.... should i just change it on the camera to Adobe RGB??

12 years 10 months ago #78283 by stephenlite4
sRGB is fine, I use lightroom also.

RAW images are geared to pick up the detail, they still need to be developed! You need to sharpen and increase your saturation, these can even be set to be done automatically upon import. The beauty about shooting raw is you have all the data there to work with and any changes you make can be undone.

12 years 10 months ago #78287 by Puter
So its normal for a picture to be brighter and more saturated on your cameras display then when you just important to lightroom? I would of thought if anything you would atleast get the picture in lightroom that you saw on your cameras display.

12 years 10 months ago #78293 by stephenlite4
Not really, lightroom shows the settings as specified in the EXIF data as set by the picture. However 12 megapixels on a 3 inch screen designed for outdoor viewing will be brighter and appear more saturated than on a good quality 20 inch monitor.

Monitor quality (lumens, brightness, contrast, ratio, etc..) will also change your view.

12 years 10 months ago #78295 by Puter
after importing to LR should i just keep them a sRGB or should i go with adobe.... 99.9% of my shot will go to the web.

12 years 10 months ago #78297 by stephenlite4
You don't have to worry about color space while you are in LR. But when you export, then you should choose sRGB.

12 years 10 months ago #78305 by DestinDave
I've always heard that it's best to keep the same color space settings (in sync) on your camera, Lightroom, Photoshop, monitor (if it's an option) and your printer profile.. And, I'm not sure if I've got mine correct either..

Can someone shed some light on that theory?

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 10 months ago #78313 by MLKstudios
I work in the largest color space till the end. And then only for web (sRGB).

Having 16-bits, instead of 8, avoids "banding" in smooth colored areas.

Matthew :)

PS I also use aRGB in camera.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #78715 by Henry Peach
Unless your out-of-camera processing software is the same as or calibrated like your in-camera processing software it's probably doing the processing slightly different. You can set the in-camera processing parameters and that will be seen in the jpeg on the LCD, but depending on the raw processing software may or may not show up when it makes it's first preview. I'm not up on Lightroom, but in Adobe Camera Raw the camera profile can be switched from default to several other choices that may match the in-camera processing better. You can always save your own custom default. I find keeping the camera set to neutral processing parameters gives me a fairly similar histogram on the LCD as I'm going to find when i open it up in ACR. If I were to crank up the saturation in-camera the histogram and LCD display would change, but that goes away as soon as I open it in ACR because it's applying it's own (or the ones I set) processing defaults.

If you are shooting raw it doesn't really matter what the camera is set to. The color space is set by the raw processing software. Lightroom uses ProPhoto RGB. In ACR and Photoshop you can choose the color space.

Keeping everything set to the same color space keeps it simple. What's important is that you make the proper conversions if switching color spaces. For instance if I process in Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB right before I save as a jpeg (for web or to be sent to the lab for C prints) I convert the color space of the file to sRGB. Typically I process all the photos in ACR, then batch export as jpegs all at once using Image Processor. It has a box that can be checked to convert them all to sRGB.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024