Selective coloring or not?

12 years 10 months ago #78379 by BUV
I have read several articles and opinions indicating color selecting in photos is not a good thing. Just wondering why? Is there any photos that look better using selective coloring?

12 years 10 months ago #78381 by Puter
Selective coloring was something that was way overused in the past. It does have it's place time to time.

12 years 10 months ago #78393 by photobod
I always give my brides a choice of colour, black and white and selective colour, they always choose a few photos with selective colour, that answers it for me, what they want they get.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #78419 by Henry Peach

BUV wrote: I have read several articles and opinions indicating color selecting in photos is not a good thing. Just wondering why? Is there any photos that look better using selective coloring?

It's considered a bit cheesy. It has just enough gimmicky feel to be sort of a flavor of the month, and that month was long ago. The main problem is that most of the time it's done poorly, and doesn't make sense for the photo. It's done just because it can be done. The same thing is behind the backlash against HDR and extreme local contrast manipulation. I don't really understand the folks who say these techniques suck because most of the photos using them suck, or are at best mediocre. As far as I can tell in general most photographs suck, yet we aren't giving up on photography. :)

Color is extremely powerful to our minds and vision. There is an old art school adage: If you can't make it good, make it big. If you can't make it big, make it red. :) What ever you decide to colorize becomes the subject and will have very significant attraction power to the viewer. A classic example of how not to do it that I saw was a portrait of a kid in a baseball uniform. The photographer left the colored shirt and hat, and made everything else BW. The effect was to turn the kid into a ghost. The bold color of the uniform and hat made it seem like they were hovering there disembodied.

You should experiment with colorization if you like it. You will get a feel for what you think looks good, and what doesn't look so hot. In the end always compare a traditionally processed version of the photo to the selective color version. Which one really looks better?

I've done some selective coloring. I always offer it and other special effects to my brides. I tell them to let me know if they like selective coloring, or after they see the photos if they think some would look good with the effect just let me know. It's been at least 5 years (almost 150 brides) since anyone has asked me for selective coloring.

I like to keep the color toned down. Watch out for warm colors; they are powerful. I also like to stick to one color, and it has to be a major part of the photo's theme. Almost like the selective color version doesn't look too far removed from the regular version from across the room.
12 years 10 months ago #78669 by Stealthy Ninja
Henry get to the point dude.

I find it hard to read all that because (no offense) I don't care enough to read a short essay each time you want to say something. :)
12 years 10 months ago #78695 by Henry Peach

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Henry get to the point dude.

I find it hard to read all that because (no offense) I don't care enough to read a short essay each time you want to say something. :)

There's got to be an ignore feature somewhere. Feel free to use it.
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #78701 by Stealthy Ninja

Henry Peach wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Henry get to the point dude.

There's got to be an ignore feature somewhere. Feel free to use it.

Just like you're ignoring friendly advice?

:blink: :p

Normally, on forums people get to the point pretty quick. You might be new to forums so I'm just giving some friendly advice. :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024