How Adding Texture and Templates can help a Photo!

12 years 10 months ago #79393 by Jamie
We agree there's nothing like a great photo...but a great presentation can have a huge impact...even on an "okay" image. Here's an example before/after of what a little texture and a template can do for your photo. (This is using a Photobacks Grunge 2 digital backdrop and Premium Package template.)

PhotographyTalk Users enjoy 15% OFF at www.photobacks.com !
Use: PHT843 at checkout!

Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #79453 by TheNissanMan
Personally I prefer the original, the added borders in No.2 make the photo cluttered and detract from the shot...

Just my 2p of course :)

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #79601 by Jamie
For me, the template pops the "bla" photo in this case...and when you show the client the two, I'm pretty sure I know which one they're going to pick...and pay more for! :cheers:

12 years 10 months ago #79627 by Nikonjan
I'm all for textures and templates. :)

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 10 months ago #79829 by DestinDave

Nikonjan wrote: I'm all for textures and templates. :)

Me too.. I experiment with textures all the time.. but the "after" image would have looked much better with the texture masked away from her arms - looks like she has more hair on her arms than many men!

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 10 months ago #80657 by Jamie

DestinDave wrote: looks like she has more hair on her arms than many men!

:lol: Very true...though textures/grunge are a style choice...so upclose, enlarged, this effect looks a bit more "dirty," but I agree, and so do many, that the grunge/texture doesn't work well on skin. So, as you said, create a layer mask, or simply erase it away from over the skin. I use a soft round eraser brush, set at about 40% opacity, and just click away at the areas I want to remove, and continue to click away with that eraser brush till I"m happy...leaves a nice blend, no harsh lines.

12 years 10 months ago #80799 by ChrisPenn

TheNissanMan wrote: Personally I prefer the original, the added borders in No.2 make the photo cluttered and detract from the shot...

Just my 2p of course :)

:agree: I think some portraits just look better with a plain background. Let the person stand out, not the photoshop background.

12 years 10 months ago #80801 by ChrisPenn

Jamie@Photobacks wrote: For me, the template pops the "bla" photo in this case...and when you show the client the two, I'm pretty sure I know which one they're going to pick...and pay more for! :cheers:

Nice reply. You're just trying to sell your products.

12 years 10 months ago #81717 by Jamie

ChrisPenn wrote: Nice reply. You're just trying to sell your products.

That is true, but I actually believe in our products! Obviously, if you don't like them, you shouldn't buy them, and we're not here to convince anyone that their opinion is wrong. But, there are clients that will prefer apples to oranges, and in this economy, many photographers really want to offer both, so we can really help them out.

12 years 10 months ago #81725 by MLKstudios
I know how you feel Jamie. Don't fret. It's just part of the web mentality. It started out as pure anarchy, then people figured out they could use it to buy and sell things. Now it's a bit of both.

Adults should be able to decide if they want something, or not. No snide comments are necessary, really.

Good luck with sales.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #82811 by Jamie
Thank you, Matthew! :banana:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024