How do they make Infrared photographs

13 years 4 months ago #8573 by Dan Dangerfield
I was just looking at some photos in the gallery here that are just amazing. I've heard of Infrared photos, but would really like to know how they are made?

Like this photo: www.photographytalk.com/component/option...,viewphoto/id,10556/

13 years 4 months ago #8574 by Screamin Scott
Depending, they can be done with a simple filter that attaches to the front of the lens or by sending your camera to an outfit that removes a filter that is in front of your sensor...I use an older Nikon D70s & it is more sensitive to IR than most of the newer cameras. I use a Hoya R72 IR pass filter on it. Now these filters are almost opaque, so you have to compose the scene with the camera on a tripod, then put the filter on & take the shot. The D70s is able to both meter & auto focus with the filter in place, so that's a big help, otherwise you have to bracket your exposure to find the correct settings to use.The "send your camera away to be adapted" method is more costly & once converted, you can't take normal everyday photos anymore, only IR. Thus if you have an older camera, this can become the "IR only" model...Here's a link to one of the conversion facilities...
www.maxmax.com/ircameraconversions.htm

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8575 by Dan Dangerfield

Screamin Scott wrote: Depending, they can be done with a simple filter that attaches to the front of the lens or by sending your camera to an outfit that removes a filter that is in front of your sensor...I use an older Nikon D70s & it is more sensitive to IR than most of the newer cameras. I use a Hoya R72 IR pass filter on it. Now these filters are almost opaque, so you have to compose the scene with the camera on a tripod, then put the filter on & take the shot. The D70s is able to both meter & auto focus with the filter in place, so that's a big help, otherwise you have to bracket your exposure to find the correct settings to use.The "send your camera away to be adapted" method is more costly & once converted, you can't take normal everyday photos anymore, only IR. Thus if you have an older camera, this can become the "IR only" model...Here's a link to one of the conversion facilities...

Hey thanks Scott! Any chance can this be done in any software like Photoshop or software filters?

13 years 4 months ago #8577 by Screamin Scott
There are "IR" filters in Photoshop & other software programs, but they don't come close to achieving the results that you can do with a camera equipped to shot IR...Oh, I forgot to mention that the image that comes out of the camera has to be tweaked in Post processing to get some of the results that you see....

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8578 by Dan Dangerfield

Screamin Scott wrote: There are "IR" filters in Photoshop & other software programs, but they don't come close to achieving the results that you can do with a camera equipped to shot IR...Oh, I forgot to mention that the image that comes out of the camera has to be tweaked in Post processing to get some of the results that you see....

So in a nut shell this process is a PITA? LOL!!!

The photos sure look incredible though!

13 years 4 months ago #8691 by Maverick V

Screamin Scott wrote: Depending, they can be done with a simple filter that attaches to the front of the lens or by sending your camera to an outfit that removes a filter that is in front of your sensor...I use an older Nikon D70s & it is more sensitive to IR than most of the newer cameras. I use a Hoya R72 IR pass filter on it. Now these filters are almost opaque, so you have to compose the scene with the camera on a tripod, then put the filter on & take the shot. The D70s is able to both meter & auto focus with the filter in place, so that's a big help, otherwise you have to bracket your exposure to find the correct settings to use.The "send your camera away to be adapted" method is more costly & once converted, you can't take normal everyday photos anymore, only IR. Thus if you have an older camera, this can become the "IR only" model...Here's a link to one of the conversion facilities...

Very interesting Scott, do you have any photos of a image that was taken with JUST the Hoya R72 IR filter? I'm on BH's site and looking at this and the shots are all in B&W? Most of those photos shown in the above link are in color?

13 years 4 months ago #8698 by Screamin Scott
Here's a link to my Flickr stream , the IR set

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/sets/72157594295718243/

Color can be manipulated in post processing...Be advised though that there are a couple of color IR shots done with Ektachrome Infrared on the set as well...I prefer B&W IR shots...There are several IR groups out there where you can get a wealth of more info...Here's a link to one I'm a member of...

tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Infrared_Photography/

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8991 by Dan Dangerfield

Screamin Scott wrote: Here's a link to my Flickr stream , the IR set

Color can be manipulated in post processing...Be advised though that there are a couple of color IR shots done with Ektachrome Infrared on the set as well...I prefer B&W IR shots...There are several IR groups out there where you can get a wealth of more info...Here's a link to one I'm a member of...

Thanks Scott, I'm going to check out your work. ;)

13 years 4 months ago #8992 by Dan Dangerfield

Screamin Scott wrote: Here's a link to my Flickr stream , the IR set

This has to be my favorite Scott, please explain how you took this photo please: www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/1781...t-72157594295718243/

13 years 4 months ago #8999 by Screamin Scott
The camera was on a tripod, fitted with a Tokina 70-210 AF lens (if I'm not mistaken) & a Hoya R72 filter. The zoom was set @ 70mm. After composing, I put the filter on & took the shot (my camera also meters correctly with the filter attached) . I changed the photo to B&W via Picasa...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024