Film camera issues?

2 years 10 months ago #718138 by Khelm
I recently came across a Canon AE-1 and a Canon A-1.  I was thinking of purchasing them and was allowed to borrow them.  I used Fujifilm Superia 400 ISO that I have no clue the age of.  I purchased it from Facebook Marketplace.  Below are photos of the developed images.  I have a few questions but first let me explain what I did.

I used one roll of film in both cameras.  I took 7/8 exposures on the A-1 rewinded it then inserted it into the AE-1 and with the lens cap on I took exposures until around exposure 10.  Then I took a few photos, switched lenses, took a couple more, rewound the film then sent it off to be developed.  The images taken with the second lens weren't even developed and sent to me?

I have a few questions I hope people with more experience could offer suggestions to.

1. The developed images are spotted - not as in noise/grain
2. The film seems double exposed being able to see the holes of the film strip used to catch the gear to wind/rewind
3. On image has white stripes on the left - is this light leaking in from the lens somehow / somewhere?

Please take a look and let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments:
2 years 10 months ago #718139 by Khelm
There is a fourth image of the soda that is in the post but doesn't show up so you will have to click on it.

2 years 10 months ago #718143 by Hassner
In film it is called grain.
The higher the ISO, the more the grain. The grain is further enhanced by old film and trying to correct under or over exposure. 
Old cameras can easily leak light. You will have to check the seams of where the film cover lid closes on the body. That sponge-like material becomes like brittle over time. 

I do not understand your second question. It would have been better to see the negatives photographed on a light box.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #718145 by Khelm

Hassner wrote: In film it is called grain.
The higher the ISO, the more the grain. The grain is further enhanced by old film and trying to correct under or over exposure. 

This film is only 400 ASA/ISO.  I'm referring to some sort of aberration not the actual grain caused by ISO - notice the white spots on the photos.

Hassner wrote: Old cameras can easily leak light. You will have to check the seams of where the film cover lid closes on the body. That sponge-like material becomes like brittle over time. 

I'll have to take a look and see if I notice this deterioration in the material.

Hassner wrote: I do not understand your second question. It would have been better to see the negatives photographed on a light box.

Unfortunately, I used a convenience/pharmacy called Walgreens and they do not offer the negatives when developing film.  They process it in a center then send the files digitally to the local store and the local store prints them.

If you look at the image of the soda the double exposure may be more clear to see. It is also noticeable on the bottom left of the third image

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024