IFPO credentials? (International Freelance Photographers Organization)

12 years 7 months ago #139019 by Fiesta!
Most memberships have yearly dues. This is only $81 for lifetime. What's the catch or is this not really good for much?

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #139072 by icepics
I think there was a previous thread about this, you might find it if you search on the forum. I don't know if they can really get you credentials or if they offer any other benefits or resources to photographers.

I've done a local minor pro hockey team and they as well as a local college hockey team issued their own game night credentials. I don't know if a pro team's PR director or a college SID would issue credentials thru the IFPO or not, but from my experience locally you couldn't get access throughout the arena w/out having the team issued game night credentials - no more than if you had a ticket to the game as a fan. And I've seen ushers/security check them. Maybe it depends on the event or level of sport you're covering.

My preference would be to join an organization that has a variety of benefits that would suit my needs and interests.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #139410 by Martha
Friend of mine has membership with them. He shoots baseball games and I know get's in with out having to pay. I'm not sure what other benefits he gets with that membership. I'll need to check with him.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #139414 by icepics
Found this from a few years ago on www.sportsshooter.com which is a website done by professional sports photographers - www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=4417 - it gets lengthy but the first several posts would give you some pro's opinions of IFPO.

Red flags to me are that the so-called organization appears to have no board of directors or officers; their address is only a P.O Box; and they ask you to pay an extra $50 or so for a lanyard and ID cards (one being for a national press corps which I don't think even exists). Seems like somebody's making money off this, getting people meaningless credentials to contribute to the IFPO magazine on developing skills as a photographer (like their video on how to use a 35mm camera :blink: ).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #182655 by Bigalski
it's a scam.

google 'IFPO Photographers review' and make up your own mind though.

there are dozens of sites claiming to get you access to places for a small fee. its just like the poetry publishing houses that sprung up online 10 years ago "we will publish your beautiful poetry in a leather bound book with 5000 other poets- only $399 for your copy of the book"

the way im getting ringside for boxing matches is to start small. its the same old adage, its not what you know its who you know. I'm concentrating on Muay Thai and I train at a Muay Thai gym so my coach has helped me get experience through his tournaments. Then other gyms have asked him who he used for photos and they then called me.

Next year i'll be concentrating on building my network by visiting a lot of gyms during the week when they are training. Introducing myself and seeking permission to shoot them whilst they train. Get the photos, do the post process and then email them some low res copies with my watermark in the bottom corner. Ive already got about 20 local fighters using my pictures as their profile pics on Facebook. Each one of these fighters has around 150 friends/fans that sees my photo + they regularly communicate with fight promoters etc. I just give them one condition with the photos - dont edit them and leave my watermark visible. Many of them regularly link back to my web gallery to show their fans/friends more photos of them training or fighting etc.

I recommend building a network that will be proud to show off your photos for you. Show the athletes respect for the commitment they make to their sport, take GOOD photos of them training and they will respect you back. I've got several fighters that are around 18yo that i photograph regularly at training (+several of the current crop). these are the guys that will most likely be the main draw cards in 2-3 years time. By building a friendship with them - not just shooting them once in a blue moon - they will open a lot of doors for you when they make it to the big league.

Respect is what opens doors and it doesn't come on a lanyard.

ich bin ein nerd!

"Burt Reynolds is my spiritual guide" Archer

Combat Sports & commercial photographer based in QLD Australia
www.segamiimages.net

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024