Facebook killing wedding photo albums? How are you selling photo albums?

12 years 1 month ago #214390 by Sandy Smith Photos
Have you noticed that today's brides don't request the need of a photo album? I like telling a story with the photos in an album. But many of todays brides are just concerned about getting a CD to post images on Facebook? Only 1 out of my 4 last brides bought a book. Perhaps I'm just offering to high quality book and I need to offer some less cost options.

I would like to get my figures where I'm hitting at least 2, ideally every 3 out of every 4 weddings.

Are you creating the design up front, taking the assumption "close" and hoping they bride likes enough to buy? I thought about this, but was concerned about the time I invest into each one. What do you think?

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #214550 by U8Later
Well I don't photograph weddings and I know photos on CD is what everyone wants. However I think if I did offer weddings, my package would be photos in album with the additional low res photos on CD. There would not be a package without a photo album. People now a days getting married, if they stay married...years down the road they will probably be saying to each other, damn I missed flipping through an actual album, I wish we at least had our wedding photos in an album. From our computer crashing over the years, we lost so many wedding photos. etc..

12 years 1 month ago #214600 by We Design Albums.com
Most couples want to have that "control" that comes with owning their images on CD. However, the fact is, most couples that purchase a CD of images, never do anything with it. They might print a few images for frames or for gifts, but that is all.

Show them what professionally retouched/enhanced images, presented in a beautiful album looks like and they are most certainly going to want it. (They might not let it show, but they will.) An album can be handed down to children, etc. A CD may in time get lost, or damaged, or corrupt. What if in the future, that CD will no longer work in some devices. If you hand your Grandmother that CD, do you think she will take the time to load it into a computer or DVD player and scroll through all of those images? Not likely.

Anyone with eyes can operate and appreciate beautiful images in a book. I am not discounting the CD of images, but they should be presented and work together. Incorporate them in conjunction with one another.

We Design Albums.com
1-800-932-5286

12 years 1 month ago #214875 by Henry Peach
In order to sell the album you need to have some great examples to show them, and remind them how cool books are. It's easy to get in the habit of viewing and reading everything from a screen, but I find when I show people an actual large print or photo book they do experience something different. There is an aura to the object.
12 years 1 month ago #214887 by Pixelchix
Think even if you give them low res images unless they have a huge watermark pasted on the front they will put them on fb anyway, then they prob still would. Maybe state something in the contract saying they have to buy a book

12 years 1 month ago #215534 by Joe Photo Daddy

Henry Peach wrote: In order to sell the album you need to have some great examples to show them, and remind them how cool books are. It's easy to get in the habit of viewing and reading everything from a screen, but I find when I show people an actual large print or photo book they do experience something different. There is an aura to the object.

:agree: that's why I always print album samples with me. They can touch and feel the quality of the book, examine the feel of the pages. I don't sell an album all the time, but I would say 3 out of 4 will want one.

12 years 1 month ago #216222 by Kxhhht
Sometimes I feel that you almost have to build the cost of an album in the stand alone upfront fee and include the album in the package...

12 years 1 month ago #218132 by mclayton
I agree with the above posts. Add the photo album into a package. Make that the only way that they can get a cd version of their photographs.

12 years 1 month ago #218198 by geoffellis
Perhaps you need only make 1? If you work as a photographer then make 1 and use it as a portfolio. I am sure they are not cheap, but its better than making a sample album for each wedding. That way they can still see the quality of the album, touch, feel, etc.

Im sure it wouldnt do anything but increase your sales.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024