Getting out of the TFP trap!

12 years 1 month ago #218159 by AnnaBellie
I've been doing trade for portfolio shoots with models and actors for about a year now pretty regularly and I'm really happy with how my portfolio is looking. From what I've seen of other photographers charging an arm and a leg, I gotta say, I think I'm pretty much there (not to toot my own horn!) So I have this portfolio and I think... now what? I've made some posts on craigslist and other sites but it seems here in Los Angeles, there is such an abundance of decent (and terrible) photographers willing to shoot people for free that it's hard to get past free shoots and into making money. I'm pretty young and not very business savvy. I know my models always come away from the shoots happy, and are impressed with my work, I just have no idea how to market myself to make a profit...

12 years 4 weeks ago #218676 by silvereagle135
Hey, if you think you can charge now, do it. Why not? I'm not too business savvy either (I don't even have a website) but word of mouth is your friend. If you can shoot models I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to shoot other kinds of portraits.

Just go for it! Know what you're worth and ask for it.

12 years 3 weeks ago #220208 by AnnaBellie
Thanks! Hmm... anyone else have advice? Maybe not too many people that shoot models on here huh?

12 years 2 weeks ago #222461 by afoto
hey annabellie,

i can totally understand what your going through!

the trouble with this sort of thing, as you said, is that when you decide to charge you miss out on a lot of projects that may have been creatively stimulating because other involved in the project aren't willing to pay.

unfortunately i don't have much advice for you :(

one idea that i've had a little bit with success with is trying to connect with designers (clothing designers, jewellery designers, etc) who may need images for their websites or lookbooks, often times they may be willing to pay for an editorial shoot where a model may not?

12 years 2 weeks ago #222553 by icepics
You mentioned you don't feel very business savvy; I don't have background in business either. There are professional photographers organizations like ASMP or PPA who have business resources on their websites; some is available to the public while further info. is for members.

It seems like Craigslist varies depending on where you live; in my area there's not much listed that's even remotely professional (plenty of listings that are more about, uh, looking to hook up with someone instead of listing a product or service or if it's legit they want free or dirt cheap). Is there a paper that covers arts, entertainment, etc. in your area? - there is something like that where I live.

Sounds like you're ready to move on beyond building your portfolio but I'm not sure what would be the best way to market yourself or to know what's in your area (maybe almost too much to know how to narrow it down??) The Photo District News has info. related to commercial photography, advertising, etc., not sure if you would get some ideas there.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #222642 by AnnaBellie
Thanks for the help. I talked with a friend who gets gigs just from people she knows. She said she did it by getting involved in a local art collective. I'm not super social but it's def something to think about. Cast a wide net so to speak. I def need to learn how to network.

There is also something to be said for charging what you're worth. I was reading this article about how people put more value on things that cost more... another friend sells paintings on Etsy and said she sold more when she put her prices up. So interesting!

12 years 4 days ago #225330 by Tamgerine
I guess it really depends on how far you want to take photography as a profession. If you want to do it full time, you're going to have to learn to be business savvy. Your work is only going to take you so far. Eventually you're going to get into taxes, accounting, marketing, and other aspects of running a business. Being a successful professional photographer is more business than photography, really. Plenty of other photographers have good, amazing work. Those who have good, amazing work alongside good, amazing business skills are going to run you out of your business.

Honestly, if you're taking in revenue and money from your services, you need to be charging and paying taxes and registered as a legitimate business. Does the IRS care if you just have an expensive hobby where sometimes someone pays you fifty bucks for the images? Probably not. But if you want this to be your life, learn how to run it properly.

That is what I would suggest. Start reading some books about business. There are a lot centered around photography as well. Get a website up, set your prices, and start marketing yourself.
12 years 3 days ago #225592 by AnnaBellie
Oh boy, Tamgerine. Don't say the T word, it makes me itch! :P

Hmmm things to think about. Do I really want to go "all in" as you've kind of set it up here. At this point, probably not that hard core on it. We'll see I guess. Things might change. I'm still pretty young and doing school so photography is not my main focus at this point. I really just wanted to start making extra money. Nothing huge.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024