Boudoir photography

12 years 3 weeks ago #218703 by OleanderGal
I've been shooting portraits in my home studio for a few years now. I love it but I feel like I want to expand my scope. I've been checking out some boudoir photographer's websites and it really looks like fun.

So on to the questions.

I've heard it's great to market to brides around their wedding time cus many of them have lost weight and are looking their best. But do you think they would just go for their wedding photographer for that? (I do NOT want to do weddings!)

What kind of props and backgrounds would you suggest?

Do you think me being female would be a selling point or a hinderance? I'm sure ever client is different but I get the feeling with something as intimate as boudoir photos, gender would definitely play a role for some

Thanks in advance!

Love your life! Do it right!
12 years 3 weeks ago #219124 by crystal
I don't think brides will seek wedding photographers to shoot boudoir photography, mainly because wedding photographers are naturally more expensive then the typical portrait photographer. Unless of course the wedding photographer also shoots portraits, then they would have two different pricing. Also there are many photographers who do not specialize in boudoir. So I wouldn't be afraid to market boudoir photography to brides and any woman for any given time... especially around Valentine's Day.

I have seen boudoir being done more in the woman's home. On their bed, on their couch, wearing their husband's/fiance/boyfriend's clothes etc... standing in front of the window using only window light etc.. Honestly I find those kinds of props/backgrounds to be so much better for boudoir, instead of the typical studio setup. Being in the woman's home becomes more intimate. She becomes more comfortable. You could get more shots, because you can use whatever is in her home. Heck, if the woman lives in the middle of nowhere, and if she is comfortable with it, you can shoot outside..laying by the pool, on the hammock, laying on the nice green grass etc..

I would think most females would be more comfortable with a female photographer.
12 years 3 weeks ago #219127 by Cre8tivefix
Personally I would NOT have gone to my wedding photographer for that sort of session. I liked the way he handled weddings, but not really portraits. I can only think of a small handful of local wedding photographers that I would consider options for Boudoir sessions as well, and most of them would cost too much for what I would be willing to shell out considering I wouldn't be sharing the product with family or friends, or hanging it on my wall in the living room.

I personally would feel much more comfortable seeking out a female photographer for that. So I would say that is definitely in your favor. Plus when I told my hubby who took them I wouldn't have to deal with the jealousy issues. LOL

Best of luck in this new venture.

12 years 3 weeks ago #219183 by OleanderGal
Thanks so much to both of you. I hadn't even thought about the pricing aspect as far as using the same photographer as the wedding. I just assumed some would add it in there as part of the wedding package.

I hadn't really thought about shooting in their homes... I guess cus mine isn't very photogenic but the ladies that would be spending a lot on photos might have a far better set-up. Marvelous. This is very exciting! Can't wait to get started.

Do you think I should do a couple of models TFP just to have something to show for myself first?

12 years 3 weeks ago #219221 by mj~shutterbugg
I have a friend who shoots boudoir exclusively and she is amazing. She shoots in studio, has a bed, a couple of sexy sofas and some hallways. It's a good sized studio. I wanted to get some taken for our past anniversary, but she is really out of my budget. She's well worth her fee though.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 3 weeks ago #219325 by crystal

OleanderGal wrote: Thanks so much to both of you. I hadn't even thought about the pricing aspect as far as using the same photographer as the wedding. I just assumed some would add it in there as part of the wedding package.

I hadn't really thought about shooting in their homes... I guess cus mine isn't very photogenic but the ladies that would be spending a lot on photos might have a far better set-up. Marvelous. This is very exciting! Can't wait to get started.

Do you think I should do a couple of models TFP just to have something to show for myself first?

It wouldn't hurt to shoot models TFP for experience and to start a portfolio. You can get models from onemodelplace.com or modelmayhem or if you have facebook you can ask on facebook if anyone is willing to pose for you to help build your portfolio.

However I would do TFCD, mainly because it will cost you more $ to get those prints, then to burn a couple of photos on CD. Of course burning low res photos.
12 years 3 weeks ago #219369 by geoffellis

crystal wrote: Of course burning low res photos.

Shouldnt they be at least portfolio quality though? You are shooting for free... she is posing for free... you should both be leaving with quality photographs.
12 years 3 weeks ago #219564 by mclayton
I think being a female would help you. I would not feel comfortable with a male photographer for this type of shoot.

12 years 2 weeks ago #220744 by OleanderGal
Sounds good! I'm sure I could find some willing models no problem!

Shutterbugg, do you have a link? I'd love to check them out! I've been browsing around photographers sites and it looks like fun! What a wonderful gift to give a woman, helping her feel sexy and confident!

12 years 2 weeks ago #220910 by Chloe1021
I doubt most women would think of having their wedding photographer take these types of pictures. I think you might have found a good niche.

12 years 2 weeks ago #221003 by photobod
A lot of wedding photographers offer boudoir packages as do I,I have never had a problem with being male and in my opinion a male may be better at getting a woman to give that seductive look, but then I see no problem with males and females doing this sort of work, their is room for us all, if you go to my site there are a few boudoir shots on there or I have a boudoir album on here also.
www.photographytalk.com/photo-galleries/...d/album?albumid=2187

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #221061 by MajorMagee
:rofl: She looks so bored in that third from the last album shot...

12 years 2 weeks ago #222531 by OleanderGal
Haha a lot of speculation here. They like men, they like women. They'd use their wedding photographer, they wouldn't use their wedding photographer! Someone should do a survey then! :P Guess everyone is different. I'm sure I could find the right clientele for me.

In either case I'm definitely gunna go for it. Why not?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024