Would you build a photography website using Wordpress?

12 years 3 weeks ago #219202 by Frost Photography
I'm considering putting together a website and wondering if Wordpress is good platform to use for photography based site? I have found some nice templates, but just not sure on the back end how that would work?

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #219211 by KCook
Zenfolio has just introduced a simple blog feature. So you can have it both ways with ZF. I've played around a bit with the ZF blog tool. The main limitations I've run into so far is that it does not support categories (does have keywords) and you cannot set the length of the main page.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 3 weeks ago #219251 by rmeyer7
My point of view is more from the web perspective than the photographer's perspective when it comes to this question. (My "real job" is as a Web Administrator for a grocery company.)

I think Wordpress is a great option. There are so, so many themes, plugins, widgets -- no matter what type of site you need, Wordpress is usually a perfect fit. It's not one of those situations where you can kind of hack and manipulate something into working for a specific purpose, it's actually an intuitive solution and a ready-made fit, plus it can be customized to whatever extent you want or need.

12 years 2 weeks ago #219562 by mclayton
I use Wordpress for my website. Not a photography one. I have not had any trouble with it. Many people/business use Wordpress.

12 years 2 weeks ago #220185 by ShutterGuy
Why not? Wordpress is a great platform to build a website off of :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #225332 by Tamgerine
You can customize a Wordpress a lot more than you can Zenfolio. It depends on how much time (or money) you're willing to set aside to accomplish it. My Clark Photographic website is a Wordpress, if you want to take a look.
11 years 11 months ago #225356 by geoffellis

rmeyer7 wrote: My point of view is more from the web perspective than the photographer's perspective when it comes to this question. (My "real job" is as a Web Administrator for a grocery company.)

I think Wordpress is a great option. There are so, so many themes, plugins, widgets -- no matter what type of site you need, Wordpress is usually a perfect fit. It's not one of those situations where you can kind of hack and manipulate something into working for a specific purpose, it's actually an intuitive solution and a ready-made fit, plus it can be customized to whatever extent you want or need.

While this is true... as a Systems Adminstrator I find there are a few key concerns with Wordpress. First and foremost is security. This year alone has already seen at least a dozen medium-high risk security advisories. And that doesnt include all the potential security issues with users failing to follow basic security recommendations/guidelines.

The other issue is directly caused by what you consider great about wordpress. Wordpress itself is pretty resource intensive when it comes to processing power and ram. When you start adding 3rd party plugins and stuff... the required load can skyrocket... especially if it is a poorly written addon.

That said... Wordpress is probably not any better or worse than Joomla or Drupal for those issues... so meh Just something to live with I guess. All the same i prefer simple HTML sites... but that does take a little more effort.
11 years 11 months ago #225494 by rmeyer7
Good points Geoff. I guess I could say that Wordpress is my best recommendation among the popular CMS solutions. For those who are managing their site's content themselves, it's much easier to use than others and probably no more or less secure.

I usually think from a content and functionality point of view, so it's good to get a Systems Admininstrator's perspective too.

11 years 11 months ago #225852 by Missy J

geoffellis wrote:

rmeyer7 wrote: My point of view is more from the web perspective than the photographer's perspective when it comes to this question. (My "real job" is as a Web Administrator for a grocery company.)

While this is true... as a Systems Adminstrator I find there are a few key concerns with Wordpress. First and foremost is security. This year alone has already seen at least a dozen medium-high risk security advisories. And that doesnt include all the potential security issues with users failing to follow basic security recommendations/guidelines.

The other issue is directly caused by what you consider great about wordpress. Wordpress itself is pretty resource intensive when it comes to processing power and ram. When you start adding 3rd party plugins and stuff... the required load can skyrocket... especially if it is a poorly written addon.

That said... Wordpress is probably not any better or worse than Joomla or Drupal for those issues... so meh Just something to live with I guess. All the same i prefer simple HTML sites... but that does take a little more effort.

Isn't there extensions that lock up the security of the back end of these sites?

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #225886 by geoffellis

Missy J wrote: Isn't there extensions that lock up the security of the back end of these sites?

heh... sure. those will catch some of the basic/common installation and permissions mistakes people make... implement some of the best practices... if they are used. they do what should have been done anyways. In most cases though they wont stop a newly created vulnerability from being exploited. There are other applications that are better adapted for that, that can be run on the server... but it takes a more experienced admin to maintain that. And i dont know that many people use such software.
11 years 11 months ago #225938 by NikaTraveler
I posted about this. In a nutshell I got Wordpress as my blog website and then wanted to add a photography website as an afterthought (after not having a website for a long time due to my html illiteracy and way overshooting my website design). I still haven't gotten around to setting up the photographer website however it looks simple enough to me. But I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. For me I just want to show off my photos. If you want to be selling prints then I don't know about that... I'm sure there is a way though.

changetheverb.com ~Learning to Live Differently
11 years 10 months ago #236944 by KCook
I just attempted my first Wordpress blog. "Attempted" as in "failed miserably". The Wordpress control panel, 'cuze me, Dashboard, worked Ok for building things up. But as soon as I needed to go back and revise the site, disaster. For even the most basic maintenance, the Wordpress dashboard sucks. Of course for those who always plunge ahead, never contemplate a do-over, this would not be an issue.

roadkill Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 10 months ago #237266 by Portfoliositez
Wordpress can be a useful platform if you do plan on updating it 2-3 times a week. We have found that wordpress sites that go unattended (especially for portrait/wedding photographers) make the photographer look undesired or out of work. However, if updates are given often it can create a community amongst your clients not to mention is excellent for SEO. The Wordpress admin is difficult to navigate. If you try out a free wordpress site and feel comfortable with how to add pages and posts but not with changing the design aspect of the wordpress site then it may be worth looking into our Flexsitez theme builder which will allow you to design a theme without having to touch the coding side of things :-)

11 years 10 months ago #237330 by KCook
Good point about the Wordpress admin being difficult to navigate! I've been wondering about the SEO angle. When I run a Google search I seem to get a lot of blog hits. And hardly any hits for the typical online portfolio/gallery. Wonder if the search engines give some kind of preference to blogs in general (not just Wordpress)?

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 9 months ago #239620 by I shoot RAW
SEO is all off page as much as on page. There is plenty you can do from SEO stand point with word press sites.

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024