How are you handling late payments from clients?

11 years 7 months ago #252834 by Francis
Knock on wood this hasn't become a big issue. But I do have a one client who licensed an image from me for a specific time for an advertisement they had. They had requested Net 30 terms and I gave it to them. The ad has run, however we are at 45 days and I've not received payment. My contact has gotten back to me saying they are working on getting the payment processed, but I'm not buying this. They had 30 days to prep for this. Not a good way of starting business, considering the fee isn't all that much in the big picture of things.

Regardless, how are you handling late payments? I believe this company could become a regular user of my work so I was trying to give some space, but at the same time I don't want to be taken advantage of.

What do you think?

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #252838 by Darrell
Since you are hoping for future business from the company I would be patient for another couple of weeks. I think it was a good sign that they contacted you about the payment rather than brushing you off. I use to work for a very large company and often times the small guy's account took awhile to get set up. :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 7 months ago #252855 by Francis
OK, I think I'll give it another 15 days and then send a polite reminder and see what happens from there. Just bugs me, Net 30 is Net 30. But I need larger accounts so I'm going to shut my mouth on this. :blink:

Thanks for the input

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #253018 by James L
I think that's a good plan around the 60 day marker, send a nice letter to them asking for payment.

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #253247 by Ruby Grace

James L wrote: I think that's a good plan around the 60 day marker, send a nice letter to them asking for payment.

+1 I'd do the same

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #253964 by Stanly
I would make it a point to send something to them on the 60 day mark. If they are late after that I would start questioning how good of a client they would be.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #254631 by BrandyMaeD
I think the net30 term is fair. I require payment upfront, and never considered that this problem could arise. I hope it works out. If you want their business in the future you sould probably stay super nice and polite. As long as they are communicating it sounds like they have plans to pay. Let us know how it turns out!

11 years 6 months ago #256386 by Farestad
:agree: net 30 is more than fair and is pretty standard

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #256393 by FedererPhoto
Even though our thoughts of "Net30" start the countdown when we give them the file and license... often the internal accounting doesn't get started until somepoint after that. I've had net 30 clients end up putting money in my bank on day 35-40 quite often. This is particularly true for the first time I work with a large client (because, I'm sure, a new client requires new setup in their accounting systems)

Just a thought...

11 years 6 months ago #256401 by Darrell
"Even though our thoughts of "Net30" start the countdown when we give them the file and license... often the internal accounting doesn't get started until somepoint after that. I've had net 30 clients end up putting money in my bank on day 35-40 quite often. This is particularly true for the first time I work with a large client (because, I'm sure, a new client requires new setup in their accounting systems)

Just a thought..."

I agree :agree:
Large companies usually pay their accounts the same time every month, if you are a new account it can very well be up to 60days before you are paid, after that it should be with in 30 days. This was common practice for the company I worked for... Large companies do not have someone setting around just to print a check off for when ever a bill comes in.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024