Any money in pet photography?

11 years 4 months ago #265528 by Martha
Is there much demand for pet photographers?

Photo Comments
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #265535 by Stealthy Ninja
Depends where you live. In Hong Kong you can charge a lot and do a really crappy job. Marketing is the key. I might do it one day but it's a PITA to set up a studio here, especially for pets.
11 years 4 months ago #265545 by Joves
As Adrian said there is money in it. People and their pets is one area that if you are really good you can make money, because some people are crazy when it comes to them. So yes. The hard part is getting the pets to cooperate with you by sitting still. I know that when I try to shoot mine they do not want to.

11 years 4 months ago #265555 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote: As Adrian said there is money in it. People and their pets is one area that if you are really good you can make money, because some people are crazy when it comes to them. So yes. The hard part is getting the pets to cooperate with you by sitting still. I know that when I try to shoot mine they do not want to.

Yeh Dennis is right. Some people are just crazy about their pets. I've seen a picture of a dog that looked like it was taken with an iPhone (the background looked like it was in taken in a house or something). It had really poor photoshop (I think of a hat on the dog) that looked like it was done on microsoft paint or something. The person who did that charged $500HKD PER PHOTO! That's about $60USD per photo!

I was shocked... still I couldn't be bothered with pet photography at the moment.
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #272347 by Don Fischer
I haven't shot much of anything for money but love doing my dogs. This past spring I started shooting other's dog at field trials. Gave away a lot of 4x6 photo's last year practicing. This year they'll have to pay something. haven't a clue how to chg, Pro Photo Supply in Portland chg's $1.50 per sq foot if I remember right. This year I'll find out if I can sell the stuff. I take a 6'x12' enclosed trailer I set up with a couple bench's inside with room for my computer and a Canon 9000 MkII printer. Everything runs off a generator and I print out right there. Heck of a lot of fun but not a clue if it will pay for itself. This is a friend that championed the dog and I did this for free. Oh I also carry along birds and remote traps to set up the dog's. One more thing about pet's, if you want to do good shot's practice a lot and learn how to have an idea of what's coming next. I like horse's and can't take a decent photo of them to save myself!

Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago #272509 by sarahashleyphotos
I'm sure there is. I have done a few family sessions where the family includes their dog. We are a pet friendly studio =) Try marketing for it and see what happens. Possibly use your own pets or a friends pet for sample images. I think its great idea to include the owner of the pet in some images.

11 years 2 months ago #272528 by P2CDude
What ever you do...when doing event work, make sure you are in the good graces of the event sponsors. Nothing will dampen your day more than having folks who are putting on the event get all up in your business.

I was hired to take pictures for a friends little league...just of one kid...and as soon as they saw me there with a big camera and big ole lens, I got nothing but hassles from the league and their "sponsored" photographer.

While Alive...Live....If you Love It...Print it!
11 years 2 months ago #272532 by jaharris1701
my daughter was wondering the same thing, she started a website, posted leaflets everywhere in her town, but found it VERY difficult to generate any business, she posted on FB and many other sites and linked sample shots and such, but it seems with virtually everyone having at least a cell phone in which they can take their own shots, nobody had much interest,, unless you have access to a group of dog lovers or some other way to advertise it may be a hard road

"I'm growing older,, but not up "

Jimmy Buffet

11 years 2 months ago #272552 by sarahashleyphotos

jaharris1701 wrote: my daughter was wondering the same thing, she started a website, posted leaflets everywhere in her town, but found it VERY difficult to generate any business, she posted on FB and many other sites and linked sample shots and such, but it seems with virtually everyone having at least a cell phone in which they can take their own shots, nobody had much interest,, unless you have access to a group of dog lovers or some other way to advertise it may be a hard road

She may need to take a look at the SEO on her website. Just having the website without optimizing it will not generate customers. She will also have to be a part of some of the groups like the aspca. It takes time to build your reputation as a good photographer and no you wont get tons of business right away. Also advertise everywhere on the internet (this is where most people are looking) there are service websites like thumbtack.com and yelp.com where you can put a ad up for your business for free. She may also want to look into postcard marketing (you will have to send more than one post card out) Marketing is tough. It takes time and money.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024