Photography as a career?

13 years 6 months ago #2682 by Tracy
I've been thinking of trying photography as a new career path, I've taken pictures for a few years and friends and family say that I take a good photo. To be honest I don't like the job I'm in at the minute, and I am looking to find work doing what I enjoy, taking pictures.

Do you think I will need to go to college to learn more before I try to get into the industry, and how does it pay compared to other work? How did you get started if you work in photography?

13 years 6 months ago #2791 by matthieu
am not a professional photographer myself, but like you, i have consider changing path toward photography. I think that while considering this you should also have an idea of what kind of work you wanna do, what kind of photography you wanna take ?
there's quiet a bunch of different options isn't it ?

(I did not change path because photo journalism is supercrowded and there's apparently less and less jobs So i stick to computer graphics lighting and continue to photograph as a hobby.)

13 years 6 months ago #2840 by Tracy
Well I've taken pictures of friends and family, and some pictures of their pets too. When we've out and about places I've taken some pictures with interesting landscapes in the background. Maybe I could try my hand at portriat photography, but I've really no idea on how to get started?

13 years 6 months ago #2864 by matthieu
i can't really help on "how to get started" but the best way to know is to get started ;) you'll learn what needs to be learn along the way.

13 years 6 months ago #2872 by ladyluck
A friend of mine recently started her photography business. She started with wedding photography and her business has really taken off. In fact she got the contract for all the school photography in the surrounding area. She did take a couple college courses just to freshen up her skills. Hope this helps. And good luck on all your future ventures.

13 years 6 months ago #3028 by soholino
I always recommend taking a college course at least to refresh on subjects you haven't been familiar with for a while. It help keep a good photographer well rounded.

13 years 6 months ago #4193 by cbartlett800
The benefit to a college course is that you have someone that is objective that is critiquing your work. Other than that all the information that you would get at a college course you can find in a book or on the web. I took 3 years of photography in High school and 2 in college, and it was fun, and since the High school course was free and I took the college courses at a community college it was relatively cheep. The main benefit that I had was the critiquing, as I said, but I was also doing film, so the free access to the dark room and all the chemicals was worth the $30 for the course.

13 years 6 months ago #4449 by PhotosGuy
http://photographytalk.com./category-9/t-4255.php#4428

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024