Do I need a business?

6 years 8 months ago #544568 by T18 Photography
Hey, Everyone, new here, looking for some advice

I'm planning a shoot for a couple of friends soon and hoping to write a little article about their project car which I'm hoping to get published for them.  Would I need to set up a business for the magazine to accept the work?

I'm looking to maybe expand this in the future and become a freelance photographer with the automotive side & possibly getting a few of my shots published from motorsports. The automotive side would consist of doing private shoots, helped by the fact that I go to quite a few car shows which would help me get clients. I don't have a goal for shooting corporate or commercial car reveals or anything like that.

Basically, I'm asking, how hard is it to be a freelance photographer (of any speciality) that is just part-time and not working super hard in order to make it into a fully fledged career and just something that can supplement my income? I.e. tax returns etc. I know there is quite a bit of work involved, it's just that every article I read on the internet is about becoming a full-time freelance and that's not something I'm interested in, nor am I committed enough to work that hard. At least not to start with.

Would it be worth going freelance for the amount (or lack of) time I can afford to put into this or should I just stick to hobby photography and do cash-in-hand private shoots on the odd occasion? I'm a little concerned about the tax man coming knocking though.

Thanks

The following user(s) said Thank You: kamruzzaman80
6 years 8 months ago #544973 by Joves
No you do not need a business license to write, and submit articles to magazines, or other publications. 

6 years 8 months ago #544977 by T18 Photography
Thanks, although I probably should have stated to get paid for publications do I need a business? Sorry I wasn't clear on that

6 years 8 months ago #546463 by garyrhook
What Joves said.

Whether you get paid as an individual or a DBA, you'll likely get a 1099 from your client (ignoring cash engagements). So it doesn't really matter. And unless you create an S corporation or LLC, you'll be filing a schedule C on your 1040 long form to report the income/loss.

A DBA is required to collect and report state taxes, so you need to figure out what the rules are in your state. And it can help you acquire equipment without paying sales tax. Talk to a CPA. It depends upon what kind of work you're going to be doing.

That said, the feds have a $600 floor, but as soon as you exceed that, you should be legitimate.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #595903 by saponcpa
I totally agree with you. You had a right decision. If you run clipping path business I mean remove background then it's better for you. Because every photographer needs photo white background. So my suggestion run photo editing service business.

1 year 9 months ago #742801 by LeonieEiffel
If you need photo editing service then we can be your choice. Accept us 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Latest Articles

What is aspect ratio, and what does it mean for the presentation of your images? Use this beginner photography guide to get all the details!

Jun 20, 2024

Lake photography is a fun type of landscape photography because of all the different compositional options you have. With these tips, get the best possible results!

Jun 19, 2024

The ideal portrait photography location is out there; it's a simple matter of finding it! Using this guide, you can discover the best places for outdoor portraits!

Jun 17, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Canon R8 is a budget-friendly full frame camera with high-end photo and video features. In other words, there are plenty of reasons to upgrade to an R8!

Jun 14, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024