fruit

12 years 9 months ago #108493 by anothershot
When I try and take photos of some fruit (bananas, grapefruits ect) the photo it too bright. If I turn the flash off the photos are too dark and blurry. What am I doing wrong?
12 years 9 months ago #108499 by MLKstudios
There are MANY ways to photograph fruit. It doesn't move, so you can use a tripod -- and get it brighter. Don't use the flash. Use window light.

Set it up like an oil painting.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #108511 by photobod
Maybe you are using bare flash this will cause awful highlights, try diffusing it or as Matthew has suggested try window light with a larger iso, wide open lens and adjust your speed to suit.
Dont forget to show us your results.
Have attached a couple of examples the first one is with window light iso800-1/[email protected]
The 2nd one is with a diffused flash, its actually my small home made softbox, iso200-1/[email protected]
please excuse the quality I was being quick so a little out of focus.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #108525 by MLKstudios
Why use a high ISO with a tripod? With a tripod and a static subject, she can use ANY shutter speed necessary.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 9 months ago #108527 by photobod

MLKstudios wrote: Why use a high ISO with a tripod? With a tripod and a static subject, she can use ANY shutter speed necessary.

Matthew

You are the only one to mention a tripod Matthew so are you talking to yourself, mine are handheld and Anothershot hasnt mentioned using a tripod iether ?????

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #108532 by MLKstudios
I didn't say..

"Matthew has suggested try window light with a larger iso, wide open lens and adjust your speed to suit."

I said, use a tripod.

All styles of photography require different "tools" to do them properly. For "still lifes" a tripod is the correct tool to use. That allows her to use a low ISO, maximize the DOF (if she wants to) and concentrate on the lighting and composition.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 9 months ago #108594 by photobod

MLKstudios wrote: I didn't say..

"Matthew has suggested try window light with a larger iso, wide open lens and adjust your speed to suit."

I said, use a tripod.

All styles of photography require different "tools" to do them properly. For "still lifes" a tripod is the correct tool to use. That allows her to use a low ISO, maximize the DOF (if she wants to) and concentrate on the lighting and composition.

:)

Two sides to every argument Matthew
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk

12 years 9 months ago #108618 by photobod
To clarify a point dear members: "Matthew has suggested try window light with a larger iso, wide open lens and adjust your speed to suit." Mathew did suggest use window light the rest of the sentence "with a larger iso, wide open lens and adjust your speed to suit" was my advice, my advice was meant as a handheld option Matthews was meant as a tripod option, hope i didnt confuse anyone. I have colour coded to clarify.

www.dcimages.org.uk

12 years 9 months ago #108624 by MLKstudios
Thank you David. I just don't want people to misunderstand what I said.

Also, an on camera flash is the WRONG tool to use.

In this situation you want to see the 3rd dimension clearly. Flat lighting works against you. Window light is the best light for a beginner.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 9 months ago #108627 by photobod

MLKstudios wrote: Thank you David. I just don't want people to misunderstand what I said.

Also, an on camera flash is the WRONG tool to use.

In this situation you want to see the 3rd dimension clearly. Flat lighting works against you. Window light is the best light for a beginner.

Matthew

the post was not for your benefit Matthew so no need to thank me, and as you are wrong again I will put you right, the flash I used was not on camera, nor did I advise or would advise anyone to use on camera flash under certain circumstances, although under some circumstances it is fine as you will see in a recent macro video on this forum where the pro photographer uses an on camera flash with a homemade softbox on it, with absolutely brilliant results, perhaps because you think you are always right you should get in touch with this guy and put him right, although the reply you may recieve wouldnt be a kind one I am sure.

www.dcimages.org.uk

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #108648 by MLKstudios
Off camera flash is fine. But I doubt seriously she has that ability yet. And I'm not a "results are all that matter" teacher. I find the learning process to be very important to nurturing someone into our profession.

Using a flash is about making two combined exposures at once. It would only complicate her goal here. I try to keep things simple.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #108743 by MLKstudios
Sorry David for the volley awhile back. I'm not here to shove others aside or push my way through as the only way.

It's obvious from the OP's question that she is an absolute beginner (no matter how long she's owned a camera). That's fine. We all start somewhere.

She mentions not knowing how to get a proper exposure in low light and/or how to use her flash (the pop-up, I would guess).

She likely doesn't own a tripod OR an off camera flash. But her question lead me to believe she could manage using a tripod (maybe by borrowing or renting one) and get more than acceptable results.

When you say use an off camera flash, that's opening a BIG can of worms. Are you going to explain the different flash modes and what all the buttons on the back are for? It's TWO exposures, two pieces of "kit" and she hasn't yet learned one.

So, my answer was based on what I thought she would be ABLE to accomplish. And maybe even learn something doing so. A tripod (using window light) is a much simpler tool to learn than strobes (which flash is but a miniature version of). You simply attach the camera to the top and point it. It's rather intuitive to use.

If later she wants to use a shallow DOF and handhold a high ISO (for whatever reason), she can feel free to experiment. But I don't think it's a good "push" to give someone who is here to learn.

Agreed?

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 9 months ago #108750 by photobod
In at the deep end is my philophosy Matthew, we learn by making mistakes thats why I am so wise :rofl: We think differently thats all, there isnt a problem with that, its what makes the world go around, dont forget many of the great inventions of all times were made or discovered by people diving into things head first and making mistakes only to find they had found something interesting.

www.dcimages.org.uk

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024