Firefighters

12 years 9 months ago #110275 by Kryddle
My fiance took a picture of his fire gear that he loves. I want to edit the picture to look a bit more rugged/grungy/hardcore. I am not sure how to describe it, Manly maybe? I want to do this and print as an 8x10 with a black border around it and in the black border I want to put a firefighters quote. I want to do this for his birthday which is in a couple weeks. I have photoshop CS4 student version. any suggestions, critiques and instructions you can give on how to make this picture better will be greatly appreciated!!! :thumbsup:
Also what is the best format to save pictures you want to print ( Large and small prints ) as well as best quality.

thanks everyone

Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #110279 by The Time Capturer
The only thing I can really comment on here is the printing. Despite the size of the print, it should match the printer's resolution. If I remember correctly, most desktop printers print at a resolution of 96 dpi (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If your image is lower, say 76 dpi, the quality of the print will suffer slightly.

As far as setting up the image (which I like), I'm imagining a fuzzy edge that fades into the black border.

Good luck with this project. Hopefully, someone can give you better advice.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #110309 by Shadowfixer1
If you are printing them yourself, save them as .psd. That is the native PhotoShop format. If you are taking them out and the printing folks can handle .tiff I would use that or save as .jpg at highest quality. I would save at 300 dpi for printing and 72 dpi for on-line stuff.

One hint about getting the black border you want is to use the "stroke" command in PhotoShop. It makes quick work of a border. Set foreground color to black, then select all, then chose the stroke command and set your width.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kryddle
12 years 9 months ago #110446 by photobod

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If you are printing them yourself, save them as .psd. That is the native PhotoShop format. If you are taking them out and the printing folks can handle .tiff I would use that or save as .jpg at highest quality. I would save at 300 dpi for printing and 72 dpi for on-line stuff.

One hint about getting the black border you want is to use the "stroke" command in PhotoShop. It makes quick work of a border. Set foreground color to black, then select all, then chose the stroke command and set your width.

Great advice from shadowfixer on the printing and border issue.
On the topic of grungy or hardcore, take a look at the HDR settings and play with them, there are a few choices but go through every one until you find something you like, alternatively try adding noise or grain in the filters drop down, the only other thing I can think of is that you try dodging and burning bringing out certain elements and darkening others.
Dont forget to let us see the final phot or even the experiments leading up to it, would make a great album.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #110482 by Dori
:thumbsup:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #110638 by Kryddle
Thank you so much everyone for the advice. Keep your fingers crossed for me :side:
I will definately post the practice and final pictures.

Wow do I have a lot to learn. I am new to PS and printing after editing. Normally I would go to Walgreens, Walgreens.com or Walmart.com, edit the pictures thru there site and order the prints (for my point and shoot) and they looked so pixaleated (sp?)
I am looking to order more Canvas and very large prints of photos taken. Advice where to get pictures printed? Stay away from online printing (ex: walgreens, walmart, snapfish, kodak, etc) ?

I am so glad I found this site! Great people, Great Advice and Great team work! You all are AMAZING! :woohoo:

12 years 9 months ago #110646 by Shadowfixer1
They shouldn't be pixelated unless you are only capturing a small file. Make sure you are saving the appropriate file in camera. My father-in-law uses Walgreens and his pics are perfectly fine and he has no clue as to what he is doing.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024