The 2nd 100,000

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127140 by MLKstudios
Henri Cartier-Bresson said our first 10,000 were our warm up shots. With DSLRs it may be more like the first 100K "clicks" is when we first begin to learn.

This pdf file represents the kind of work I like. The type of work people do when they get past 100K.

Good photography, no matter what the subject is, is all about our humanity. It's an art that includes everything.

www.mlkstudios.com/pdf/FLASH.pdf
Large file 17.4 MB (right click to download). Note: For Mature Audiences

The floating heads on the table are based on the work of Dadaist Man Ray and the sculptor Constantin Brancusi.

Noir et Blanche and Sleeping Muse.

They are part of the art train.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127150 by MLKstudios
Noire et Blanche (Black and White) by Man Ray (where Dada meets photography):

media.publicbroadcasting.net/national/ar..._images/3299965.jpeg

This is a portrait C. Brancusi taken by Steichen:

www.mlkstudios.com/images/Edward_Steichen-Brancusi.jpeg

His atelier in Paris (his studio):

www.mlkstudios.com/images/Atelier_Brancusi.jpeg

Note Sleeping Muse is on the table, in the back (by the red curtain) is Bird in Space. They were exhibited in Gallery 291, which was Stieglitz's studio in NYC, and the center of the art world in the U.S. No one bought any of his work. They didn't understand it then either. You soon will.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #127151 by McBeth Photography
Well I've said from the beginning that the biggest reason that I took up photography a couple of years ago was to challenge the other side of my brain that I don't use normally. I will say that this art thing is a new realm for me and I find that it bothers me sometimes, in the end...that's a good thing. I think that we all need to be challenged to learn.

It is what it is.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127152 by MLKstudios
I will most definitely challenge both sides of your brain. ;)

The camera is but a tool. We use it to share our world and to express ourselves. I see too many now who want every gadget (and lens) before they start to learn. All you need is a decent camera and a decent prime lens to be great. Nothing expensive at all.

It's when you use it for art and/or your own humanity, that it becomes universal. It becomes something we ALL can relate to. The entire world shares photography as an art medium (Google The Family of Man exhibit by E. Steichen).

Barry, what did you think of the work in FLASH? And do you know from which art culture your avatar comes from?

FYI moderators (aka agents). As a teacher I'm able to bend some copyright rules. They're loser when used for education.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #127154 by McBeth Photography

MLKstudios wrote: The camera is but a tool. We use it to share and express ourselves. I see too many now who want every gadget (and lens) before they start to learn. All you need is a decent camera and a decent prime lens to be great. Nothing expensive at all.

It's when you use it for art and/or your own humanity, that it becomes universal. It becomes something we ALL can relate to.

What did you think of FLASH?

Some images were troubling, some reflected cultural differences and at the same time similarities, some were uplifting and all speak of the human condition. It challenged me, as I grow being challenged is becoming less and less annoying. One thing is for certain in my mind, Art encompasses a lot ground and It is measures the height and breadth of culture.

In short, I liked it. I'll probably more spend time looking through the flash when I have a little more time. Thank you. :)

It is what it is.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127155 by MLKstudios
Welcome, Barry. Glad you're willing to look at new things with an open mind. It includes the height and breadth of ALL cultures. One of the greatest tools known to man.

The PC-ness of our Brave New World tends to blend everyone together, instead of celebrating our differences. Nothing wrong with disagreeing or seeing the world differently than others.

We need more of it. In a more civilized (and human) way, of course. I can choose to disagree with you, and still respect who you are.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127156 by MLKstudios
Bumping for Rob and Baydream. :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #127330 by Shadowfixer1
A lot of these brings to mind William Eggleston. The colors and the style give me that feel in a lot of them.
12 years 8 months ago #127336 by photobod
An interesting selection of photos, some good some bad, some I liked some I didnt, guess thats what its all about.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127376 by MLKstudios

Shadowfixer1 wrote: A lot of these brings to mind William Eggleston. The colors and the style give me that feel in a lot of them.

Exactly, Shadow! There's a thread that connects them all. That's the point of my proverbial train. One car is connected to the next.

Essentially the snotty art world is about collecting autographs. Once you become "known" you can do almost anything, and people will relish it. Of course you have to get "known" first. That's where the connections matter. The art critics need something to compare you to.

While it is possible to do something amazing, fresh and new. The chances of getting recognized for it are slim to nil. You'll end up posting tons of pics on Flickr.

The new term for the art "thread" is combinatorial thinking. We combine all the work we've seen and experienced into our own. And quite simply, if you combine the right pieces, others will call you an artist!

Ex. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Shore

In short, the art world is a like a train. Everyone behind must pay homage to the car in front of them, and include all of those influences into his (or her) art.

BTW you don't have to want to be an artist, you already are. There's one inside you. And you're using your camera to let it out. I'm just trying to help you get there, quicker.

Maybe even in your first 100K.

FYI my course is designed to get you past the mechanics of photography quickly (the f/stops, shutter speeds, post work and etc.) and past that constant desire for a new piece of equipment, and focus on your work. Only when you forget about the camera, can you become a photographer. That's when you first begin to see.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #127387 by VT Hiker
The tomato soup was a nice one. Some others were thought provoking as well, and some were odd. :lol: Of course art is supposed to be confusing and challenging... it's art!

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127389 by MLKstudios
VT, that reminds me of a thread not that long ago on TMBO (a private photo forum I belong to). Someone posted a pic, and the first comment was, "I don't get it." The next line stated simply, "It's art".

It takes some understanding of where ART comes from. It started on the walls of caves. Our ancestors saw a bump in the rock, and thought... hmm, if I add some horns with some charcoal. It'll look just like the hunt we were on.

Or when we were kids looking up at clouds. We saw bunnies. :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024