Studio Shots (sort of)

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #131076 by DonD2
A few recent attempts at Studio types of photographs. However they were done in my makeshift (some might say "Ghetto") Home Studio. You really need to check out the snapshots of this "Studio" in action HERE to truly appreciate it...... :rofl:

Anyhow, I'd love to get all y'all's feedback input on the photos and yeah I guess the "Studio" as well.... :rofl:

Attachments:
12 years 8 months ago #131080 by DonD2
Here is the 2nd subject:

Attachments:
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #131196 by MLKstudios
They're fine. One of the nice things about a DSLR is it lets you WB to most ANY light. You can set up a "table top" studio with simple (and cheap) halogen lamps. Since the subject doesn't move, all you need is a tripod and slow shutter speeds to get max DoF.

Good work! Your colors and focus looks to be dead on.

Matthew

PS I once used a Yashica model "A" in my studio.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #131199 by MLKstudios
Just looked at your "studio lighting". I've used the same stuff. A reflector with a photoflood bulb (matched Tungsten balanced films or the Incandescent WB setting).

To be successful at this, all you need is a good lens, a tripod and an eye for lighting. A reflector, a diffuser and a "flag" gives you a 3 light set-up using but one light.

It's the key light, the fill and the background light in one.

Adding a second light for a "kicker" (aka a rim light) will give you additional 3D-ness.

Look for people selling on eBay. They always need good table top pics.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #131213 by DonD2
Thanks for both of your feedback/input and compliments. They're all greatly appreciated. :cheers: :thumbsup:
12 years 8 months ago #131215 by DonD2
Also, once I get a little more comfortable with what I'm doing I'm definitely looking forward to trying out that Yashica - D. As far as I can tell it is fully functional. The first camera that I had when I was a kid was a Brownie Reflex. So, I'm pretty excited about trying it out.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #131219 by MLKstudios
I have a 100 year old Brownie No.2 (not the same one I had as a kid) that worked till I took it on a beach shoot. It got sand in the shutter. Don't take yours to a beach without storing it in a plastic bag!

Mine was in my camera bag, on a towel on the sand. It stil got sand blown into it. Didn't work when I went to shoot (but I had other cameras with me). Was a paid shoot.

Always have (at least) two cameras before you go pro. You'll thank me some day.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #131256 by DonD2
Heck Mathew (Matt?), I'm thanking you now! haha! Some good advice, however I don't live anywhere close to a beach anymore (I grew up 8 blocks from the beach in Ocean County NJ) but left there in '76 and moved to the desert southwest (NM), so, although I no longer have a beach anywhere close by I definitely still have sand everywhere.......:rofl: :rofl: So, I'll do my best to keep it out of the Camera.
12 years 8 months ago #131260 by shutterinfear
:agree:
Yeah these are great!

12 years 8 months ago #131273 by DonD2

shutterinfear wrote: :agree:
Yeah these are great!

Thanks you very much Sarah!
12 years 7 months ago #132950 by Joiemagic
I really like the first shots of the markers in the cup. Nice lighting, nice color and nicely focused... :judge:

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 7 months ago #133082 by DonD2

Joiemagic wrote: I really like the first shots of the markers in the cup. Nice lighting, nice color and nicely focused... :judge:

Thanks Joie, I appreciate the compliments and comments :cheers:
12 years 7 months ago #133374 by robbie
Love the 'Yashica' shots.very nice.

12 years 7 months ago #133493 by photobod
Like them all Don good work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 7 months ago #133558 by DonD2

robbie wrote: Love the 'Yashica' shots.very nice.

Thanks You very much Robbie. :cheers:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024