Would appreciate some words of wisdom about these photos

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #136446 by Ol Hippie
I'm new on the site and to photography and would like some advice, critisim and comments on my photos.
Thanks

Broken hearts and dirty windows make life hard to see.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #136451 by Ol Hippie
Opps, this should be under a different topic, my bad ya'll

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #136455 by MLKstudios
S'ok. Someone can move them for you.

They're all good. Maybe a little hazy. Do you have a filter on your lens?

If so, use a lens hood instead. It will improve the color and contrast.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #136461 by Ol Hippie
No filter, have thought about getting a hood though, guess I'll have to look into it. Thanks

12 years 8 months ago #136465 by photobod
The skies look good but the final three look very flat and underexposed, there is potential in the scenes so go back and try again if you have photoshop thren add a little punch in there, curves or levels will help.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ol Hippie
12 years 8 months ago #136536 by Ol Hippie
Don't have Photoshop but thinking of getting it. I'll try to retake the waterfalls, the haze is because the water is very cold, it comes straight from the bottom of the dam.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #136539 by MLKstudios
Yeah, I wasn't sure how much of it was atmosphere and how much was simply haze.

Avoid filters unless you really need one. And yes, a hood will improve your pics a bit and won't cost much. Sometimes we don't see the loss of contrast the lack of a hood prevents, until it's too late.

Welcome to our dysfunctional family. I'm an old hippy too.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #136549 by TsB
What camera do you use? Digital or film? dSLR or "compact"? I ask this because a different lens may offer a very different perspective. It appears as if the falls were captured with a telephoto but I am wondering, if you can, what a wide angle closer up would turn out like.

Photoshop can help quite a lot BUT it also has a rather steep learning curve. Free programs similar to "paint.net" may be more to your liking at this time. It basically goes to what level you want to get to. Should you get Photoshop you might want to consider one of Topaz Labs filters. I've taken one of your images and did a very quick job using one of those filters and have attached it here. Hope you don't mind.

Lens hoods work very well in reducing glare from the sky AND surrounding features, but if you wish to bring out the color try a polarizing filter. Combining that with a 3-5 second exposure on the falls will bring some interesting results. Such exposure, however, may require a neutral density filter.

Good luck and keep us informed as to what happens.

Attachments:
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #136636 by rmeyer7

TsB wrote: Lens hoods work very well in reducing glare from the sky AND surrounding features, but if you wish to bring out the color try a polarizing filter. Combining that with a 3-5 second exposure on the falls will bring some interesting results. Such exposure, however, may require a neutral density filter.

:agree:
This is a good way to go for waterfalls, or even creeks, streams, etc. where you want to capture the motion. A neutral density filter will help as well. I have a couple water photos I wouldn't have been able to get without the nice long exposure and ND filter. The one below is an example.

Of course this was enhanced in Photoshop like, like TsB's edit of your original photo.

Attachments:
12 years 8 months ago #137094 by Ol Hippie

TsB wrote: What camera do you use? Digital or film? dSLR or "compact"? I ask this because a different lens may offer a very different perspective. It appears as if the falls were captured with a telephoto but I am wondering, if you can, what a wide angle closer up would turn out like.]

Digital, DSLR, Cannon Rebel T1i. The lens is a zoom and I wish I had done some wide angle, will when I go back.anks

Oh and I don't mind what you did with the photo, it looks great, the colors really do stand out.

Thanks

12 years 8 months ago #137098 by Ol Hippie

MLKstudios wrote: Welcome to our dysfunctional family. I'm an old hippy too.:)

Peace, the 60's and 70's were rough.

12 years 8 months ago #137985 by TsB
If you do get an image with the wide angle lens, please post it. Also, if you wish to continue your quest of refining your images and would like some help please contact me. [email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024